The reply

Hello!!! How was everyone's Christmas? Happy New Year, please let me know if you like this!!!

*One Week Later*

"You ready to go?" Calli asked, pulling on her jacket.

"I hate Mondays" I grumbled, rummaging through my bag, checking that I had everything. 

"You say this every Monday, there's nothing you can do about it, so be positive!" Elise grinned at me, ever the optimist.

I sighed. "Ok, ok, positive. I'm positive that Mondays should be banned." 

"You're impossible!" Amy groaned. 

"That's why you love me!" I replied, smiling smugly. 

"Come on, we're going to be late! Again!" Calli said, dragging us out of our shared appartment. 

"Someone get the post!" Amy yelled as we ran down the stairs- the lift as usual was broken. 

"Not it!" Calli said. 

"Not it!" Elise shouted. 

"Not it!" Amy echoed, running towards the car. 

"Fine, I'll get it!" I said, going over to the reception desk to talk to the horrible manager's daughter, Clarissa. Clarissa was only six months older than me, but even though we had some of the same lectures, she acted like my friends and I were three. 

"What?" She asked, not bothering to look up from her magazine. 

"Can I get the mail for 4c?" I asked, trying to stay polite. 

Clarissa rolled her eyes, hauled herself laboriously of the swivel chair, and strolled over to where all the post was kept. 

"So, how's that boyfriend of yours?" Clarissa drawled. I felt my eyes prick with tears of hurt and anger. Another reason why I hated Clarissa. My ex-boyfriend, Richard, had cheated on me with Clarissa, of all people. 

I pretended not to hear her. This was the only apartment that I could afford that was within fifteen minutes of Uni. 

"Enjoy your bills." Clarissa faked a smile, and handed me the post. I resisted the urge to hit her, and went out to the car. 

"Let's go!" Elise cheered as I got in. Elise is the 'optimistic one' in our group. 

"Anything interesting?" Calli asked, glancing back at me from the passenger's seat. 

"Just a load of bills." I replied, automatically putting them in Amy's bag. An accounting student, Amy was the 'responsible one' of the group. Another example of this is that she's the only one who can drive. 

"We're here!" Elise said, grinning and jumping out as soon as the car stopped. She's the only person I know who gets excited about college. 

"Hey, this one doesn't look like a bill." Amy said, grabbing my arm and handing me an envelope. 

"There's no name on it, how do you know it's for me?" I asked. 

"Cos you're the only one who has the email adress 8LaVieEstBelle8@hotmail.com!" Amy said, stating the very obvious that I had completely missed. 

"Oh yeah" I said, mentally face palming myself for my stupidity. 

"Right, I've gotta go, see you later!" Amy said, walking off in the direction of the business building. 

I slouched towards the arts building. I was studying stage management. I was reaching the end of my third and second-last year, and I was hoping to get a work placement for the summer. 

After all the rushing to get to Uni on time, I was actually fifteen minutes early for the lecture. I sat down, took out my books, and then opened the letter Amy had given me. 

" To 8LaVieEstBelle8@hotmail.com, 

Hey penpal! 

I decided to write to you instead of replying to your email! Sorry if you thought I was being rude! 

I've just realised that you know nothing about me! Ok, so I love singing more than anything else, I'm a rubbish dancer, And I HATE STUDYING! It's so boring, no-one cares if x=2 or not! Sorry, I kinda started ranting for a minute there! 

So, what are you doing at this very moment in time? I'm meant to be setting the table for dinner, but oh well! 

I'm starving!!! We're having spaghetti for dinner, I can't wait!! What's your favourite food? 

My mum's just stormed in and said that if the table isn't set in ten minutes "I will feed your dinner to the dog!" Her words, not mine. We don't even have a dog, so I don't know who'll she'll give my dinner to. I'm not going to take any chances though, so I'd better go!!! 

Write back soon! 

J xxxxx"

I couldn't help but smile as I read the letter. This guy seemed really nice. I was so relieved it wasn't a bill, or a letter from the hospital. I still had another ten minutes, so I took out a clean sheet of paper, an started to write back.

"To J, 

Hello! I definitely wasn't expecting a letter from you so soon, I thought it was a bill! You can't imagine how happy I was that it was you writing to me instead! 

I'm waiting for my lecture at Uni to start, I'm really bored!! 

One of the boys in my group keeps looking at me weirdly- I think it's because I kept laughing while I was reading your letter! 

Thank you for telling me a bit about yourself, I thought it would be really strange writing to you if I didn't know anything about you! Ok, so I'm in Uni at the moment, studying stage management. I love dancing, I'm in a group and we practice three times a week. I'm awful at singing, but that doesn't stop me from belting out 'Don't Stop Believing' in the shower! My favourite dinner is roast chicken with roast vegetables- carrots, potatoes, parsnips, broccoli, brussel sprouts................I think I just drooled.

Oh, I've gotta go- my lecture started five minutes ago!

Byeee!

L"