Prologue

Six months earlier

It was the first day of my senior year of high school. It wasn't quite what I'd hoped for.

I wasn't at my old school in Bridgeport but at a new school that held only the unknown, and I was always scared of the unknown.

The bell rang, marking the end of third period and the start of more unknown things to come. I ignored the stares of my classmates on my way out of the classroom. I just wanted them to stop staring, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I was a new girl, which apparently meant I had to be christened with relentless staring, whispering, and finger-pointing, as if they had never seen a new student at this school—as if I were some alien specimen. It was rather intimidating, and I almost chickened out. I'd most definitely have given up on going to the cafeteria if it wasn't for my growling stomach. I was starving.

Students flocked to the hall, which helped me get lost in the crowd. I sucked in my belly and straightened my spine, hoping I wasn't looking as fat as I felt. I was fidgety as I moved, running my hands over the edges of my draped shirt to fix the non-existent creases, hoping it hid the flab above the waistband of my jeans.

It's going to be okay. Look at the bright side. You're starting anew here.

I stopped in front of the cafeteria doors as a dull ache spread through my chest. I didn't want to eat alone and face more staring. It would be better to just pick up some food and go somewhere quiet.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped inside. A quick inspection of the room told me I'd managed to attract some attention, which brought a blush to my face. Okay. More creepy staring, here we go.

My insecure steps led me deeper into the lunchroom, until someone stopped a bit too close to me. I raised my head to meet the stunning yet cold gray eyes of a guy who was so tall I felt like a dwarf next to him. I choked on my saliva, confused as to why such a hot-looking guy would approach me deliberately.

I studied the chiseled features of his face, noting his high cheekbones, straight-edged nose, and heart-shaped lips that could best be described as "made for kissing." He definitely gave other guys a run for their money, but there was something about him—an air of trouble—that I didn't like, even more so considering I didn't know what his deal was.

He assessed me too, and I didn't miss the cruel calculation on his face or the sudden silence falling on the room.

"Well, you're something new." He spoke loudly for others to hear. A non-friendly grin formed on his face. "What's your name?"

I lowered my head as another blush coated my cheeks. I was growing overly self-conscious, feeling like the thousands of eyes prodded at me.

Too easily, I was taken back to that incident five years earlier. I hadn't been able to deal with that then, and I certainly couldn't deal with this now. I just wanted to get this over with and be out of here.

"J-Jessica," I answered in that squeaky, childish voice I hated. My stammer was followed by vicious laughter from a few students standing nearby.

"Jessica what?"

"Jessica Metts."

"What's that? I didn't hear you. Jessica what?"

"J-Jessica Metts."

"You mean Jessica Fats?"

My stomach dropped at the insult that hurt the most. The insult I heard more than any other. The one that reduced me to this insecure being that could never be truly satisfied with her looks. He was so mean.