VIFJ

With pizza in hand you hop up the stairs, thinking it's about time you order salad. You scurry to your dorm, hoping no one sees you like this, face flushed, eyes glossy, and hair... just fucked up. And just as you open the door you hear your RA call. You shut the door and lock it, practically jumping from the entrance to Voltiaere's side.

"Wha-" he begins, only to be cut off by your hand.

You whisper, "Hide."

You shove him into your closet and push the doors closed, then flop onto your bed just in time for those three signature knocks, "Everything good in there?" The voice calls.

"Yeah, did something happen?" You call, trying to sound as cool-headed as possible.

"Just some noises reported, do you have ... friends over?"

You feel your body stiffen and quickly switch on the television when Voltiaere thumps around, "Nah just me, as per usual. I wish I had noise complaints." You joke.

The RA laughs, "Yeah I was surprised myself when they said it was coming from here, I was like, my little loner is growing up too fast-" She teased.

"Ah shut up!" You reply.

"Alright, I'm off kiddo, you know who to call if you need anything."

You try to remember her name, but shrug it off, "Yeah!" You call.

"... Can I come out now?" Voltiaere whispers, and with a swing of a foot you throw the closet door open, "Thank you, darli- nevermind that."

He brushes himself off as he exits the cramped space, then pulls a confused face when you pat your thigh. With a yank of his wrist you plant him onto your lap and drag him to the sheets, wrapping your legs around his waist and holding on until he melts away.

"You could have just proposed a 'cuddle session', but let me guess, that's not your style either, huh?" He drones, "Nope." You chime, smiling to yourself as you feel Voltiaere's body rest in your hold.

"Okay, you win this time." He grunts as he turns around and embraces you, his heartbeat thumping against your ear, his breathe tickling the top of your head.

You relish in how whimsical he is, how you really know nothing about him and suddenly want to know more, even if it's "not your style". He traces his fingertips along the small of your back and that's when you realize he just might be the one, because the swirling in your spine has never been louder. Then there's something you realize soon after; you've never been on a fucking date.

"V," you begin, "Yes darling?" He purs, voice heavy with sleep and eyes fluttering open.

"Can we-"

"Yes, I already have reservations for a date this evening. How did you find out?"

You feel your jaw tighten, taken aback, "You... do?"

He nods his head, bringing a hand to your scalp and gently pulling you hair into a ponytail, then pulls your head to his chest, "Rest up, Darling. I have big plans for us."

"I just might like you for real." You tease, giggling when he hushes you and pulls you over onto his bare chest, settling on his back, "Now sleep."

Hours go by as the two of you lay, Voltiaere's chest rising and falling softly. And you? Well, you're wide awake. You just lay there, enjoying these moments of serenity, reveling in the warmth of his arms. You know it's wrong, but you can't help but wonder if these arms are going to hold you "forever". Through thick and thin. At your worst and at your best. You wonder if it's okay to make promises this time and hope that these arms remain strong. But you still can't shake the feeling of loneliness, no matter how close you bring yourself to him. Unknowingly, you sigh, and Voltiaere shifts his head to look down at you.