Chapter 2

After a bit of walking, Megatron and Optimus stumbled upon a decrepit, soot-covered building that had partially collapsed on one side. They approached with caution, ready to draw their weapons if necessary.

"I don't think searching a building is a good use of our time." Megatron grumbled, following Optimus towards the building with considerably less caution. He was reluctant to get sidetracked, something Optimus always seemed to do no matter the task at hand.

Optimus ignored him for a moment, his optics scanning the surroundings as he stepped over a pile of folded sheet metal. "It's the only building for miles. There has to be something here that will tell us where we are." He entered the building without waiting for Megatron's reply.

Megatron rolled his optics and reluctantly trailed after the Prime. He ducked through the doorway, then nearly ran face first into a pipe that hung down from the ceiling. He growled softly in annoyance.

"This place is a death trap." He muttered, noting all the loose paneling and leaky pipes. One wrong move could either blow the place sky high or cause the other half to collapse. "Charging headfirst into danger yet again, as usual..."

"You're one to talk." Optimus huffed, casting Megatron a slight glare before continuing forward.

Eventually, he could no longer pick his way through the rubble without the risk of disturbing the supports that were barely holding the building up. He glanced up and noticed there was another level, but it was too high for him to reach.

"Can you give me a boost?"

Megatron eyed the platform Optimus was gesturing to warily. "Are you sure that will hold you? You could cause the entire building to collapse on us."

"I'll be careful." Optimus replied, a bit of sarcasm dripping from his tone. He narrowed his optics at Megatron when the warlord didn't budge. "Well?"

Megatron groaned dramatically. He trudged over to the Prime, knelt down, and held out his hands for him to use as a step.

Optimus stepped onto the warlord's servos and waited to be boosted up, but when that didn't happen, he frowned and looked down.

"Would you quit staring at my aft and boost me up already?" He huffed, finding it irritating that Megatron was making no attempt to be subtle about it.

A sly grin spread across Megatron's face as he chuckled and boosted Optimus up to the second floor. "Like you wouldn't do the same thing if given the chance." He teased playfully.

"I find it hard to admire things when your supposed sparkmate is trying to kill you." Optimus replied dryly as he stepped away from the edge. He began to search the second floor for any clues.

Since Optimus seemed busy up there, Megatron decided to continue the search on the first floor. He backtracked through the debris and discovered another pathway which led into a different room. So far, he was finding nothing of interest.

After not hearing from Optimus in a while, he actually became rather worried about the Prime's wellbeing. Optimus must've felt the worry through their bond because he was quick to send some reassurance in return.

While he would never admit it out loud, Megatron was happy that their bond had opened back up. Feeling nothing but cold, one-sided emotions for so long had taken a heavy toll on his spark. He had almost forgotten what it felt like to receive emotions that were not his own, even if Optimus was distancing himself at the moment. All he wanted to do was make it up to the Prime. He wanted to be loved again. But that would take time.