4. Cheering Him Up

1.7k words

Peter dragged his feet up the stairs. Emma noticed his change in body language. She watched him all the way until he sat down.

"You okay?" She put her hand on his shoulder.

"Not really." Peter shrugged, looking over at Emma. His eyes began to fill with tears.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Emma rubbed his back soothingly.

"MJ left me." He frowned, letting his tears quietly fall. "I don't know what I did wrong. I gave her everything. I left my friends behind for her."

"Hey, don't be sad." Emma wrapped her arms around Peter's shoulders. His face turned hot as she rested her cheek on his shoulder. "Dr Seuss once said, 'don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened'."

"You really know your use of poems." Peter sniffled, gaining the courage to hold his arm around Emma's back.

"They're what kept me grounded after my family died." Emma immediately letgo of Peter and held her hand over her mouth. "This is about you. Not me. Let's talk about a way to get your mind off MJ."

"Your family is gone?" Peter titled his head, his tears finally beginning to dry up.

Emma smiled, shaking her head. "Don't worry about it." She reached up to wipe the dried tears away. "What do you say we go to the beach in Manhattan tonight? It'll really get your mind off MJ."

"I don't know." Peter shrugged. "I'll think about it."

"Good afternoon, class." Mr. Henderson's voice boomed across the room. "You guys have an assignment to complete by tomorrow night. I want you to get a partner and make some kind of complex chemical reaction and record it. The video must be submitted by tomorrow night."

"Yes." Peter smiled excitedly, beginning to write in that notebook. "I am phenomenal at chemical reactions."

"Are you now?" Emma leaned back. "What do you say we're partners? I know a few things."

"Oh, trust me." Peter turned to Emma with a smirk. "I am the best."

"Miss Parker, do you wanna share your plans with the class?"

Emma looked at Mr. Henderson. His head was slightly tilted down. He was staring at her through his eyebrows. Emma used her eye contact move, but this time, he didn't falter.

"The files." Emma said under her breath. "It wasn't Adam. It's Mr. Henderson. Obvious."

"What?" Peter moved his ear to Emma's mouth.

"I gotta get out of here." Emma gathered her things, still staring at Mr. Henderson. Then she spoke out loud, "I have a family emergency. Peter will be sharing the notes with me."

Emma was quick to leave before anyone questioned her. She threw her bag over the stone wall surrounding the campus before effortlessly climbing over it. People on the sidewalk gave her weird looks, but she didn't pay attention to them.

Emma hurried down the subway stairs and bought a pass to get her to Henderson Industries. She didn't go on foot in case Mr. Henderson had someone waiting for her.

She got off the train and made her way inside the gigantic building. Sara let her in, knowing Adam would probably be expecting her. Emma burst into Adam's room.

He was with a client. The man turned around with a confused look. Emma grabbed his shirt and pulled him up.

"Get out." She said. "I need to speak with Adam."