15. Falling Slowly

1.9k words

"Clit's a nice guy, I guess." Emma smiled over at the man sitting to her left.

"It's Clint." Peter laughed, boarding his plane. "I'm not sure he likes being called Clit."

"I'm sure he does." Emma slapped Clint on the knee. "Isn't that right, Clit?"

"No." Clint shook his head, smiling a little.

Emma put her phone on speaker for everyone to hear him. "Say hi to my new friends!" Emma said.

"Hi, Emma's new friends." Peter chuckled, looking down the aisle for his seat.

"Hi, Emma's lover." Rhodey, Carol, Clint, Sam, and Bucky said all together.

"Can you believe I'm becoming an Avenger?" Emma squealed.

"I don't doubt it." Peter smiled. "You deserve it, Em."

"I wish you were able to come." Emma frowned.

"Me too." Peter smirked, knowing what he was doing. "But, hey, we can celebrate when you get back."

"Yeah." Emma smiled, biting her lip.

"Come on, Emma!" Fury poked his head through the curtain. "We're ready for you!"

"I gotta go, Pete." Emma said quickly. "I'll call you later."

"Alright, see you." Peter made kisses into the phone.

"See you." Emma made kisses back before hanging up.

She always said, "see you." Saying, "goodbye," made it seem as if you were never gonna see them again. Emma jogged up to the stage and stood like a deer in headlights when she saw the room full of reporters and spectators.

Happy stood by the door with his hands held in front of him. Pepper was on the other side of the stage as Emma with a large smile on her face. Emma watched the Avengers shuffle into their seats, giving her a confidence boost.

The crowd was silent as Emma walked to the middle of the stage where the podium was. She cleared her throat and smiled at the audience.

"Good afternoon, everyone." Emma looked at Fury for assurance. "I'm Emma Drake and I was born with ice powers. Um, Director Fury asked me to answer some questions you might have about myself and then, you'll see me officially become an Avenger."

The first person to ask a question was an older woman. She asked how Emma found out about her powers. Emma answered with telling her the day her dad wanted to see if she had the same powers as him and she ended up having them.

The next person was a girl about her age. She asked if Emma really did hook up with Adam Henderson to get files. Emma answered with a flustered nod and an explanation on why she had to do it.

A little girl came to the microphone causing Emma's eyes to go wide. "Oh, wow, I would not have answered that question if I knew there was a child in here." She laughed in embarrassment.

"Are you like Princess Elsa?" The small child asked with a shy smile.

"You could say that." Emma smiled at the adorable question. "But I don't think I'm cool enough to build a whole castle."

After a few more questions, Fury finally decided to let Emma have a break. He had some technicians move the podium for when Emma came back.

"Emma Hazel Drake, I dub you an Avenger." Fury said, handing Emma a certificate.

"This is so cool." Emma giggled. "Spider-Man became an Avenger on a spaceship and I'm getting a whole press conference."

"Yeah, yeah." Fury waved Emma off and the reporters started up again.