16 year before Tangled

A/N: Here's the first part of Eugene's backstory, I hope you guys enjoy it. If you see any mistakes or anything like that, just let me know. Happy reading! Let me know what you think!

"... and with that, Flynnigan Rider lived happily ever after," Queen Arianna finished. Eugene loved this story, no matter how many times he heard it, he couldn't get enough. Every week Queen Arianna came and read to the kids at the orphanage, and every week he requested that story. He had requested the story so much, he didn't even have to ask for it to be read any more, she just did. He requested it so much, she knew almost the entire story by heart. Most of the other kids had gotten bored with the story fairly early and had ventured off to play somewhere else, but not Eugene. He sat there, leaning forward eagerly, eyes wide in excitement.

"Thank you so much, Your Majesty," Eugene said in his small, childish voice, "I really enjoy listening to you read."

"You're welcome, Eugene," she replied softly, "I know how much you love this story."

"Its just such a good story! He has everything he could ever want, I want to be like him someday! I want to be a hero and help people!"

"I am sure one day you will be someones hero. Someday you will be, I just know it!"

"May I ask you something?"

"Of course, Eugene. What is it?"

"You have been so kind to me and I would like to return the favor. May I be your hero?"