10 years before Tangled

It had been three years since The Mistake. It still pained Flynn, just not as much as it used to. He was careful about showing it though. Within those past three years, he had crafted himself into a new person. Flynn Rider, a confident and self-assured young man, who didn't need anyone else or anyones help. He was always careful about showing emotion, he never wanted anyone to know how he was feeling. If they did, they would use it against him, especially in this world they lived in. To keep up this facade, he was witty and clever. Always quick with a comeback and believed himself to be quite smooth with the ladies around him. Speaking of which, he was trying to impress a certain redhead that he fancied.

He knew what he was doing was quite risky, but he had gotten much better at thieving. After The Mistake, he would practice the art of thievery for hours, working so he was quick and quite. Most times, he would practice by stealing food for the kids who were too young to do it for themselves. No matter how much he tried to bury his emotions, he had a soft spot in his heart for children.

He carefully watched the scene before him, like he had for the few days before, scoping out the area. Before him stood a market, and one vendor caught his eye. This vendor sold beautiful jewelry, and a certain necklace with blue stones would look absolutely stunning on her. Over the past few days, he had noticed that the jeweler was easily distracted by anything that looked remotely interesting to him and today just happened to be his lucky day. There happened to be a traveling vendor in the city today, trying to sell some new invention.

As the vendor walked away from his merchandise, a certain brown haired boy made his way towards the stall. Everyone around him was not paying him any mind, he easily slipped past the stall and palmed the necklace while pretending to watch the new invention go by. Then slipped into the crowd and disappeared as if he was never there.

Later that night

"Hey Charolette, do you mind if I talk with you for a moment?" Flynn asked, nervousness and hope swelling in his chest. The beautiful redhead turned toward him and smiled.

"Of course, Flynn," she said, then followed him outside. He was really nervous, and he knew it was showing. He had fancied her for a bit now, he usually tried to play it cool. Usually it was casually flirting with her or dropping random compliments, but most of them were usually from a wide array of practiced lines.

"Umm, so I just wanted to, um, talk to you about something. But before that, I have something for you," he held out the necklace, he was having a hard time meeting her eyes, "So for a while, theres been something I've wanted to tell you, but I wanted you to have something too. So here it is." He chuckled nervously. He was still having trouble meeting her eye, but felt the necklace being lifted from his hand. "I, um, have kind of been fancying you for a while now, but was nervous to tell you," he started to regain his normal confident composure, "So what do you say? Let me put the necklace on you and we go out on a date?"

"Did you steal this?"

"Why yes I did, not too bad if I do say so myself," he said, then tried to put on his Smolder.

"I can't believe you! You say you fancy me, but never before have you shown interest, and then you try to buy me with a stolen piece of jewelry! And if you fancied me so much, you should have been more attentive and know that I am already seeing someone! So wipe that stupid smirk off your face, take this thing, and leave! I never want to see you agin Flynn Rider!" she said, throwing the necklace in his face, then storming off.

"It's a Smolder!" he called after her, trying to cover up the hurt he felt. He had finally been open to care for someone again, someone other than himself, and he had his heart broken yet again.