Chapter 13 When all is lost

I woke up with a huge headache. It took me a moment to realise where I was and what was happening. For a few seconds, I thought that Michael and all these adventures were just a dream, but once I saw the wooden room and the empty side of the bed... the sad reality hits me and tears begin falling silently down my cheeks. I am still here...lost in time... I want to go home so badly.

It is still dark outside, I get up and go to look out the window, I see the first sign of the rising sun above fields. It is cold. I  wrap myself in animal skins and look at the fireplace, the low embers are dying out. I poke the charcoal, making sparks and create a small flame. I put in some more wood, the flame catches and I start to warm myself by the fire.

What should I do? Today they are going to take me to the City for the millennial celebration in the Cathedral. Everyone is going to be there, if Michael is Ok, there is a chance that is where he will look. The downside of going is that my hosts want to take me to the Varangians... That might be an issue, considering they will have no clue of who I am... Maybe I should look for a good cover story... If I was a Viking lady, who could I be? Someone that they could not identify too easily.

I start to research with my AI and learn about the current different Viking tribes and dynasties and start to drift off back to sleep. Before I know it I wake-up to a knock at my door and breakfast is brought into my room. I get the AI to project the dress I had been wearing when I arrived over the dress I was given, it is so much warmer than the Egyptian wedding dress that I don't want to go back into those clothes.

Once I have eaten, I go outside where I meet Boleslaw he is with a group of men and women preparing to leave getting into carriages and on to horses. He greets me cordially and helps me climb up into one of the carriages and soon after we head off into the City. The journey is not long and we soon enter the walls of the town. It is beautiful, everything decorated for the millennial celebration. There are purple tapestries hanging off the walls and flags in many windows. Pictures of various crests are carved in wood and metal and placed on doors. We stop just outside the busy market place and everyone starts to unmount and exit the carriages. 

We huddle together looking around at the crowd surrounding us from every side. The noise is wonderful and overwhelming, people talking amongst themselves, shouting at the market stalls, children squealing and running underfoot. I look through the crowd, hoping to see Michael. 

Boleslaw approaches and says: "Lady Bethania, please follow me." I do as he asks. We walk through the marketplace, weaving through the people and stop in front of one of the stalls. Boleslaw shouts at a young man that seems to be looking for something in a large bag at the back of the stall.

"Arne! Arne!"

"Once second!" He shouts, still with his head buried inside the bag. Finally, he pulls himself out and I realise that he is very tall and very skinny. He has large ears that stick out and a big smile on his face as he turns to Boleslaw

"Boleslaw my friend! what brings you here, can I sell you some northern delights?"

"No Arne, this is the Lady Bethania a Varangian too! I was hoping you might be able to get her home" 

The young man looks me up and down suspiciously and  says. "Where are you from my lady?"

I can hear the AI in my ear switching to Norse and feel my brain filled with the Norse language so I can respond. Luckily, I have done my research. So it is to be a test...

I nod at him in greeting. "I am from Birka, I have been travelling with my father for the celebration. Have you seen him?"

"No, my lady. Who at Birka is your Earl?"