CHAPTER FIVE - CHURCH YARD CEMETERY, 1940

Anna marvelled at the evening's light as it casted a golden hue

on the lush Samaan tree that spread its branches over the many gloomy tombstones in its shade. She thought the tree seemed to be on fire; as the wind rustled the leaves they would flicker like a thousand glowing light bulbs, each brighter than the next. The gray cemetery ignited into shades of yellow and orange as if a fresh coat of paint had just been sprayed, hoping it too would brush her heart with some joy.

Anna sat quietly on a wooden bench below the tree, absorbing nature's hand playing with its creation as though conducting dance lessons with a nimble partner.

It had been a month since she was released from the hospital and every evening she would seek a private moment where she could share her thoughts with her father's spirit. She not only found comfort there but an unusual strength surrounded her as if she was the daughter to all who could hear her heart.

"Well good afternoon to you Miss Anna." Nancy lowered her pink umbrella as she walked towards Anna. "I'm Nancy Oswald, may I sit with you?"

Anna looked up, "Yes, I know who you are, but how do you know my name?"

"Oh, I know everything. I know you; your mother and I know you visit your father very often." Nancy gently pulled up her dress and sat down while folding her umbrella. "I know what you are doing though."

"I don't understand."

"There are many things you cannot understand but I, like some who process the brujeria knowledge, can transform themselves into other forms..."

"Miss Nancy I really..."

"Listen my child," Nancy interrupted, "It is shape shifting into an animal form to seek out the truth, to spy."

"What does this have to do with me?" Anna looked away hoping that Nancy would leave and not bother to answer.

"Well, I was about your age when a man forced me to have sex..."

"Please, Miss Nancy I prefer that you stop..."

"He was the boss man at the plantation," Nancy continued ignoring Anna. "My mother was a servant there." Nancy looked around, "It's nice under this tree, the air is cool, and anyway, I could not say anything because he threatened to fire my mother."

"Why are you telling me this?" Anna stared at the woman, wondering where she had come from, or if she had been listening to her quiet conversation.

"I know about your mother's boyfriend, the policeman."

"Please, I don't wish to be rude, but I prefer that we drop it."

"Anna, I appreciate you want to keep it quiet, but I can help."

"Help...erase a memory. There are many more benches around here, I'm sure you can find one that will be to your liking." Anna turned away.

"I am aware that your mother has walked out of her job at the Barcant family..."

"Why are you doing this? Can't you just leave me alone?" Her voice was clogged with emotion.

"Anna, I will go, but please, let me finish." Nancy reached over to touch Anna, "Please turn around, I can help. I know how we can take care of that man."

Anna turned to look at Nancy. Her eyes were filled with tears and her hands were beginning to tremble. "You don't understand, my mother locks herself up in her bedroom for most of the day, she hardly talks to me..." Anna began to cry.

Nancy reached over and held her. "It's alright, cry. You need to let the pain out. Your hurt needs to be released."

The distant church bells began to ring, ushering in her congregation for Sunday evening mass. The sound seemed to echo throughout the cemetery, creating a vibrating clamour as it bounced from one tombstone to the next. The wind stirred, awakening the fallen leaves and creating a swirling display along the narrow lanes between the graves. And the rattling sound of an iron gate penetrated the air as the breeze brushed against it. A sound they all knew.

"Oh dear, the Lambert family are making noise again." Nancy smiled as she glanced in the direction of the tomb, which was behind the narrow street a few yards away.

Anna looked up from where she had buried her face in Nancy's large chest. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh nothing, just that Thomas will have to check on that tomb again."

"The caretaker?" Anna asked, but knowing the answer.

"Yep, that one never seems to be at rest."

"Sometime ago he told me he fixed the gate..."

"He is always repairing something with that tomb. Old Tom has many a story; you know his grandfather was a slave on the Lambert plantation. His grandfather was there when the great fire consumed the family."

"But there was a child..."

"Oh yes, we all know the story." Nancy paused, searching her memory for some detail told to her of that dreadful night. "That child lived according to an old aunt of mine. Now, let's get back to the business at hand. I was telling you that I know how we can deal with Mr. Selwyn. All you need to do is bring me a towel he uses, perhaps a shirt, a lock of hair, but most importantly I will need part of a finger nail or toe nail..."

"Miss Oswald, this sounds like some sort of hocus pocus." Anna began to smile.

"My child, believe me, this is no magic, and what I shared with you this evening must remain here. There are many things that our ancestors brought with them when they were stolen from their country. You must trust me."

"But..."

"You see Anna our families were divided then, people from the same villages were scattered so as not to be a united force. But the white man could not take away our gifts to reach beyond..."

"I should go now, it is beginning to get dark." Anna stood up.

She was still confused by what she was hearing and her body shivered with apprehension. "Thank you anyway for your advice."

"I too must hurry to church, the priest always gets vex when you are late." Nancy got up, shaking out her dress. "Please come and see me, I'm sure you know my famous house. We can make it right."

The two women slowly walked down the narrow lane heading towards the entrance to the cemetery. Anna looked tiny compared to the full figure of Nancy who jiggled her oversized bottom to the rhythm of her steps. She would always laugh when people would stare at her lopsided walk, and shout after them, "Like you never see a proud duck walk?"

Located near the entrance was the run-down tool shed where Thomas would spend most of his day. He stuck his head out from behind the door, ensuring that he remained hidden in the shadow of his treasured domain. He scratched his face and his eyes lit up as he delighted in Nancy's movements as they went by. He then raised the flask of rum and took a swig, "I know; we will meet again."

Anna walked home, stopping at the corner parlour that sold just about anything. Old Mr. Poon-Young sat behind the counter looking annoyed at the world, and that was his pleasant side.

Inside the store had a gleaming array of pots and pans hanging from wooden rafters. The shelves behind the wooden counter were stacked with tinned goods, some of the tins showing their age by the invading rust on their sides.

"Afternoon Mr. Poon-Young, can I get a half pound of rice and tin of corned beef?" Anna asked in the most polite manner possible.

"Ah so you don't see it getting dark, you should be home min'ing your mother."

"You're right, I'm going straight home. I just came from the cemetery..."

"You must be careful, that place have all kind of spooks." Mr. Poon-Young got up from his stool and removed a scoop from a dusty shelf behind him. "If I were you, I would not go there when it starts to get dark." He opened a large bag and scooped out some brown rice, which he placed on a sheet of paper before folding it up. "I know of the narrow street that leads to the tomb." He looked around as though expecting someone, "My grandmother told me many things..."

"Mr. Poon-Young you must tell me, what is it about that tomb?"

"You are young; your head must not become influenced by the past. It is better you leave it alone." Poon-Young handed Nancy the rice and a tin of corned beef.

"Thanks, I'll pay you the next time I pass by."

Poon-Young pulled out a copybook from a draw and scribbled down the amount owed next to Anna's name. "Go on, straight home," he mumbled without looking up.