CHAPTER SIXTEEN - CAIGUAL, 1944

The winding, narrow road with thick vegetation on either side gave way to the small village of Caigual. There were a number of wooden one-storey buildings whose painted walls were now peeled and cracked; both time and a lack of care saw to their drab appearance. Some were private homes and in each window sat a curious owner, wondering who may be stopping and what gossip they could create. There was a general store that sold everything from tinned corned beef and lanterns to aspirin, and always a favourite place to pass some time. And then there was the rum shop, with its own still, hidden away in the back producing a foul tasting drink that only an iron stomach could handle.

The bus came to an abrupt stop, sending the passengers scrambling for something to hold on to so that they would not fall. The bus driver let out a loud sigh and then mumbled something under his breath about the faulty brakes.

"Caigual, there is only one stop." The bus driver reached over to the handle and opened the front door.

Robert and Anna got up. The passengers all stared at them, making up stories to entertain their thoughts.

"Thank you," Robert remarked to the driver as he reached the door.

"Well lucky today, sometimes the bus does only make it half way." The driver thought it was a wonderful joke and began to laugh.

Robert and Anna looked around, not sure where to start to locate Nancy's aunt, Trisky. They could feel the eyes of the town looking at them and they knew they must appear to be a strange sight.

The bus started up again, coughing out a large plume of black smoke. It jolted and then stopped. The driver began to beat on the steering wheel. He looked around and said something to the passengers and got off the bus.

"Shit, shit and more shit." The driver went over to the hood and unlatched it, "Just my luck."

Robert and Anna walked into the general store that was filled with as much conversation as there were items for sale. They were certain someone must know Trisky.

"Excuse me, can you tell me how to find Trisky?" Anna asked.

Everyone stopped what they were doing. The room became uncomfortably silent.

"She is an aunt of a close friend," Anna tried once more.

Finally someone answered. He was an elderly man sitting in a corner. His face was so weather-beaten that it was hard to see his features through all the wrinkles.

"What do you want with Trisky?" the old man inquired.

"Visiting. I have a message from her niece in Port of Spain."

"Visit you say. Not planning to stay long?" The old man gestured with his hand.

"What do you mean?" Anna wanted to do all the talking.

"No bags."

"Just want to give her a message," Anna replied quickly.

The old man stood up, grabbing a walking stick for support. He must have been very tall as a young man as even now, bent over the walking stick, he was close to six feet. "You would be better off not going to that woman's house, she is evil."

"What are you talking about?" Robert asked.

"Ah, an American," someone called out.

The old man waddled over to Robert and Anna, coming to a stop a few inches from Robert. "Do ya see my face Yankee? Well take a good look. This is not old age, this is a spell."

"Now stop your foolishness Harry. Do not pay him any attention." A Chinese woman turned to Robert and Anna, "Come, I'll show you which way to go."