Chapter 9

When we get on the jet, everyone takes their usual seats and we jump right into a discussion about the case. Hotch and Rossi talk to Garcia who's bubbly face lights up the monitor while JJ, Derek, and Emily discuss victimology. I watch as Spencer scribbles in his notebook and I am reminded of the folded piece of paper that is still tucked into my back pocket.

I discreetly take it out and open the scrap ripped from his notebook. His messy handwriting scrawls across the page but it is easy enough to decipher.

When I first met you, I thought it was just a crush. You were young and pretty and ignorant to the horrors of this job. I figured once everything you have seen caught up to you, I would lose my interest, but I was wrong. I would find myself thinking of you constantly to the point where I couldn't do anything else. You became an obsession. I would count the hours until I saw you next, I'd study every highlight and shadow of your face, every angle and curve of your body. The way I feel about you is so much more than a crush, it's even more than love. We are twin flames; our soul connection is stronger than anything I have ever felt before. I understand you in a way no one else will. We are destined to be together forever, my love.

As I read the letter, I feel the suffocating weight of Spencer's eyes on me. It feels like he is clawing through my chest, reaching for my heart to claim it as his own. He is no longer the sweet guy he once was, but I am starting to suspect he never really was innocent. The Dr. Reid persona was just a front to cover up something much more sinister.

I've heard the stories from his past. His mother and father, the bullying, everything. He's always been an outcast, forced to watch the people around him living the life he wished he could. It makes sense that once he found something he loves, he would want to hold onto it as tightly as he could.

He wouldn't have to convince me to stay with him, though. I would be anything he needed me to be. His girlfriend, his accomplice, his anything. I would take his hand and walk into the blaze with him without hesitation.

We are destined to be together forever.

I look up and catch his eyes. Instead of looking away when I meet his gaze, he holds it, trying to see if I would shrink under it or stand my ground. A small smile appears on his lips and for a brief moment, it feels like we are the only two left in the world. Everything else melts away as we look into each other's souls, analyzing the pieces and inner workings of our minds.

"Reid, Y/l/n, I want you to go to the medical examiner's office and look for a signature on the bodies," Hotch says, breaking our shared trance.

"Sound's good, but I would also like to get a chance to examine the scene if that's okay," Spencer says.