A Sushi Date With Your Ex

After a long night of really nailing down the joys of reunion, the next morning they somehow woke up early enough to cuddle. In the austere decor of Stephen's apartment, it felt extra cozy to snuggle together in the soft white sheets of his enormous bed. Inho was laying horizontally (just because he could), flopped over top of Stephen's belly. He scrubbed his cheek on the neatly groomed hair trailing down Stephen's abdomen, it prickled him pleasantly. Stephen petted the top of his head absently.

"Mmm, it's good to be back," he nibbled at Stephen's hip bone, "I really missed you."

"I missed you too. Let's not do that again." Stephen tugged Inho up and rolled over so he could press their foreheads together.

"Fight?" Inho asked.

"Yes. Well, we'll probably fight, but let's talk it out better next time," He pecked Inho's lips and cheeks, and Inho felt contentment suffuse his whole body, "Communication. Don't hide everything next time, okay? Just tell me what's bothering you." Inho nodded, and Stephen continued, "Promise me, okay?"

Inho pondered it. They'd covered a lot of things the night before. Stephen carefully addressed Inho's jealousy and inferiority with unexpected empathy, opening himself up to questions he usually deflected. Inho was feeling a lot better overall. But, when you've been indulging in anxiety for long enough, it's not that easy to shake it off.

"I promise, but..." Stephen's hand paused on his scalp. Inho hesitated, unsure of how to put into words what was still loitering in the back of his mind, "There's nothing else right? No other angry exes, or hookups, or bratty nephews, or.... or anything else you're keeping from me?"

Stephen's hand resumed it's gentle swirling cycle in his hair, "Nope, I think you've got it all now. It sounds like a lot when you list it out doesn't it?"

Inho searched his eyes, unsure of what he was looking for, "A bit yeah," he moved closer, and looped his leg over Stephen's, "You're a real nuisance. Good thing I'm so patient with you."

Stephen snorted, and hugged him tight, squeezing him till he squeaked then layering more kisses on his face. When he finally left Stephen's apartment, he was feeling significantly more emotionally equipped to handle his list of things to fix.

He needed to apologize to Jasmine. He had to talk to his dad too, and he still hadn't called his mom in weeks. But first, he had to face Jamie. They'd only talked briefly on the phone, and today they were meeting.

He waited for her at a sushi place. Maybe a weird place to debrief with an ex, but it made screaming, crying, and drink tossing less likely... on both their parts. Inho was early and he sat nervously clutching a cup of green tea while he waited, taking a sip and burning his tongue just as she walked in.

"Jamie, hey," he stood up when he saw her, then sat down immediately, pretending he hadn't moved, "Hey."

She took a seat, and he studied her. Her expression wasn't unfriendly, but her movements were furtive. It had been a while since he'd seen her face, and he felt a confused jumble of familiarity and affection mixed with an odd surrealness, as if they'd never met before. His hand twitched on the table, naturally wanting to take hers. He put it safely on his leg under the table.

"It's good to see you," she said, "Should... should we order?"

"Yeah, for sure." They fumbled with the menus and placed an order with the indifferent server before falling back into awkward silence.

"My dad said you wanted to talk to me," he prompted.

She nodded, "It's about your... boyfriend."

Inho flinched, "Did you tell him anything?" Shame crept down his spine.

"Like what, that you're gay? No, I'm not an asshole," Jamie frowned, "Is that why you didn't tell him we broke up? Were you using me to hide it?"

"No! I just. I dunno, I didn't want to upset him, or...disappoint him." Well, this was making him feel like shit. Jamie's face was critical. That was fair, he had involved her without her consent. "And I'm not gay."

Her mouth twisted, "No? You sure?"

"Yeah. I don't want you to think you were like a cover or something. All those years. I guess I did kinda use you as one for a bit just now," He admitted,  rubbing his hair nervously, "But, it was real with you, I... like both. I'm bisexual, I guess, or pan. I don't really know the difference." He laughed nervously. He hadn't said anything funny. This is so fucking awkward. Jamie stared at him considering.

"Well, I guess there's that," was all she said.

"Yeah."

Silence fell again. Inho shifted in his seat; this was so uncomfortable.

"Did it have to be my boss?"

"Agh, I know, it just happened. I swear it wasn't to get back at you–" he cut off, Jamie was laughing.

"I know, I know you wouldn't do something so spiteful. You're not like that." Her eyes sparkled, "Still, it's freaking weird."

Inho's mind jumped guiltily to the time he kissed Stephen in public just to make Jamie feel bad and he cringed.

Jamie looked at her hands then up at him, "I'm glad to know though. That it was real all those years. It was real to me too." Their gazes met and held for the first time since she sat down. His chest squeezed.

"Jamie, I–" The server plunked the first of 4 trays of rolls, and the moment evaporated like the steam off his tea.

"Wow, we really got way too much," she observed, then, "But listen, there's a reason I wanted to meet with you. That guy, he's bad news. I just got fired. Do you remember what I was stressing about before?"

She continued and Inho listened, chewing an oversized slice of dynamite roll before what she was saying made him forget the food entirely.

Things may not have worked out with Jamie, but he still dated her for almost six years. He knew one thing about her for sure. She wasn't a liar.

~~

Breakfast Sandwiches! Jamie has reappeared! *gasp* One or two of you saw this coming hehehe I was impressed. What's your read on her right now? Is she being spiteful or helpful or something else?

Please vote and comment! <3