Reunions

Stephen strolled out of the elevator, through the lobby and past the doorman with a friendly nod. The double glass doors swung wide as he sauntered into the bright noon sunshine. It was a crisp fall day, dry leaves trembled on their branches, and chickadees chirped a cheery song. He was smiling as he walked, his usual benevolent grin that endeared him to everyone in the building.

His smile froze stiff on his face when he saw him; leaning casually against a low marble wall, with a bouquet of flowers sitting beside him. The Asian Dom from his apartment, Jamie's boyfriend. By some sour twist of luck, their eyes met immediately. Stephen looked just a second too long to walk away without a greeting. He nodded, his smile still fixed in place, and forced himself to take a few steps towards the road. His inner prayers that the man would let him wander off in search of lunch went unanswered. Only a cruel god would subject him to this scenario. In his pocket he clenched his left fist, digging tiny crescents into his palm.

With his right, he reached out to shake the man's hand. Jamie's boyfriend took it resentfully, and stood with an aggressive stance, feet slightly apart, shoulders squared, and chin pointed up at Stephen's nose. He wasn't short, but Stephen could easily tower over him relaxed, as he did now. He cocked his head to one side, feigning relaxed acknowledgment.

"How nice to see you, are you here to meet Jamie?"

Stephen waited patiently after speaking. His partner didn't answer right away, unreadable emotions passing over his face. Then, he simply answered,

"Yes."

Stephen guessed that he was being confronted because of his proposition – perhaps Jamie's boyfriend was angry because he didn't like getting romantic attention from a gay man. The thought irked Stephen, and with a lazy affect, he scanned Inho from head to toe. Up close in bright light, he was undeniably both cute as hell, and exactly Stephen's type. His black hair was cropped close on the sides, longer and fluffy on the top. He had a heart-shaped face with soft smooth features, a razor-sharp jaw, and glowing skin. His dark eyes stared intensely at Stephen under softly arched brows. Even his pouty frown was gorgeous.

Stephen swallowed hard, and a prickle of sweat start inside his designer suit. Despite his relaxed demeanor, his mind was racing for a suitable excuse for his actions the last time they'd met. Unconsciously, he stared deeply into the man's eyes while he thought.

After a short pause, he had an idea ready. He gave his most radiant smile,

"I didn't catch your name last time."

*****

Inho blushed under Stephens scrutiny, broke eye contact and looked at the ground,

"It's Inho. Inho Kim."

He peeked back up at Stephen's face. Serene yet heated, Stephen's gaze seemed to bore into him, the same lustful stare as last time. His wide brilliant grin framed by soft full lips that Inho couldn't help but notice.

"I was thinking after we met last time that perhaps I had come across a bit odd." Stephen's words snapped Inho out of his reverie. "I wanted to clarify that I was hoping the two of you would join me later at the hotel for a drink. They have lovely cocktails there, it's a shame you couldn't make it." Stephen beamed at Inho some more, "Jamie's always talking about you, and she says such wonderful things. I was hoping to get to know the family of my favorite employee." He laughed here, as if he'd made a joke, and despite himself, Inho felt his own lips quirk up to join him.

Inside though, he was boiling. That isn't at all what he said. Am I remembering wrong? Was he not hitting on me?

The thoughts hit him like a punch in the gut.

Did I imagine that he wanted me?

Stephen was turning away now, and losing the beam of his focus felt like a cloud had passed over the sun. Inho flinched at the loss.

"Next time," Stephen said. "Have a nice lunch," and then he was walking away.

Inho almost called after him but had no idea what he would say. He felt an odd jumble of emotions, confusion and insult, aggression, and hurt. Most troubling of all, a hot thread of yearning. He watched Stephen's broad back in his finely tailored suit walk further down the street until a hand tapped his shoulder.

He turned to find Jamie looking up at him, a shy grin on her face, "Hey you. Thanks for coming."

Inho immediately wrapped her in his arms, grateful for a moment to shake off how rattled he felt. He kissed the top of her head, then quickly her lips.

"Not at work!" she said, pushing him away, but there was no anger in her voice, and when he gave her the bundle of rust-colored dahlias, her face lit up. "They're so beautiful!" She looked up at him through her lashes, and he felt his heart flip over in his chest, " I love them Inho, thank you."

She took his hand and led him to a cozy sushi shop in the basement of the building next door. They ordered, then served themselves steaming cups of green tea.

It was so good to see her face, to hold her hand. They sat side by side on their booth bench so they could be close, and he gently laid his head on her shoulder while she chatted about her morning's work. The immobilizing loneliness of being in a foreign country, away from all your friends and family abated. This was enough. Her soft blonde hair tickled his cheek, and he smiled. This was right. Finally.

~~

How do you feel about Jamie right now? Vote and comment please, Chickadees!