Hard times

"Ah fuck," Stephen wheezed as Inho simultaneously bit his lip and kneed him in the balls. He flopped over to writhe on the couch. Whoever was unlocking the door was struggling a bit with the old lock, and the key was grinding under their efforts.

"I'm so sorry, that was an accident!" Inho said in Stephen's direction as he scrambled out from under him and hopped on one foot towards the door, his other leg still tangled with Stephen's.

He managed to get to the doorway just as it opened. Jamie stood there clutching a backpack in one arm, her makeup was smeared and her eyes were swollen from crying.

"Inho," she said and they both stood locked in place, Inho was too stunned to respond, and she was too wrapped up in his stare to continue.

"Ahem," Stephen cleared his throat from the kitchen, where he stood casually drinking a glass of water as if he'd been there the whole time. His shirt was tucked back in, and his hair was immaculate once more. Inho hadn't even noticed him move.

Inho took advantage of Jamie's distraction to tuck his erection into the waistband of his jeans and tugged his t-shirt down to hide his loose belt. When had that come undone?

"What's he doing here?" Jamie demanded.

Guilt and shame flooded Inho like a pot boiling over. If anyone's presence could bring his worries to the forefront it was Jamie. Could she tell what they had been doing? He searched her face, but couldn't read her. Having her close made him feel like he'd been unfaithful and dirty. Would she think he was gay? Or a greedy bisexual? Would she be disgusted by him?

He took a deep breath. Jamie had dumped him. They were over, he reassured himself. It didn't matter how quickly he moved on or with who. Her opinion didn't matter at all. Why the hell was she even here? He steeled himself to confront her.

"What are you doing here?" he started in an angry tone, but Stephen spoke at the same time.

"Thanks for dinner Inho," he said cooly as if they hadn't been trying to devour each other moments earlier, "I should really be going now, have a good evening."

With that he swept past both of them, gathering his belongings in a smooth motion. He gave Jamie a curt nod as he passed, then vanished through the door before Inho could stop him.

"Wait," Inho said helplessly, but Stephen was gone. He spun to face Jamie, his anger melting slightly when he saw fresh tears leaking down her cheeks. His boner wilted, and he sighed.

"He's trying to get me fired you know," she said, her small voice breaking.

"Come sit down, and tell me why you're here." Jamie sat on the couch, still warm from his and Stephen's exertions. "Why didn't you text first?"

"I did!" she cried, "Like 10 times! I called too and rang the doorbell, but you didn't answer. I thought you weren't home, and I just came in to wait for you. It's pouring out..." she trailed off.

Inho's mind went to the skipping Bluetooth speaker, which must have been actually signaling a flurry of messages, plus the loud music that would have covered the doorbell. He'd actually heard it buzz at least once, but he'd been too wrapped up in Stephen's mouth to acknowledge it.

"Okay, okay, calm down. What's wrong?" He said, determining that he might be unfairly annoyed. He should really have remembered to get the key back earlier.

"It's my dad," Jamie mumbled, "We got in a fight. I was trying to talk to him about what was going on at work, and he just started yelling at me. But, it's not my fault! Stephen's blaming me for everything," she paused and blew her nose into the tissue Inho handed her. He had to consciously stop himself from putting his arms around her. Jamie wasn't the type to show much emotion, so this was shaking him in a new way.

"And, when I told him he was being unfair, he just said not to argue with him, and that I'm giving him chest pain." She choked on her tears again, and Inho hesitated before putting his arm around her. "He's just putting it on, but what if I'm actually hurting him? I just can't breathe there Inho. I had to leave."

Inho held her while she sobbed onto his shoulder. He knew exactly how manipulative her father could be, but he wanted to hear more about what was happening with Stephen.

"So, what is going on at work?"

"There's a client, they were covering something up," she said when she could talk clearly again, "and that bastard, Stephen, he approved my report. I asked him about it, I checked! He said he'd handle it, but now that it's being investigated, he's putting it all on me! And I'm probably going to get fired – and why was he here?!"

Inho frowned, ignoring her question. That didn't sound like Stephen at all. Jamie must be misunderstanding the situation. He made a mental note to ask Stephen later.

"I'm sorry that's happening," he said, petting her hair gently the way that Stephen had just soothed him.

"Inho, I'm sorry, but I had nowhere else to go." She looked up at him through sticky wet eyelashes, "Can I stay here tonight, just to get sorted? I can't go back there right now Inho, I can't."

Inho's heart lurched in his chest. This was it if he wanted it. –the chance to show himself to be responsible, to pick up Jamie's pieces, and take care of her at her lowest. If he wanted to get back together, this was the best chance he was ever going to get. He chewed his lip as Jamie nestled deeper under his arm, snaking her arms around him and burying her face into his chest.

"I missed you Inho. I missed you so much."

He had to respond quickly, but he couldn't seem to say anything.

He'd been hating Jamie and himself for 2 weeks straight, getting drunk and crying himself to sleep. He'd thought it was over for good, he'd thought it was over and...

"Jamie, I –" he paused, the words caught in his throat.

~~

Inho's got some REAL TOUGH decisions to make here y'all.Who's he gonna pick?

Please vote and comment your thoughts! <3

Also, do you want to see more concept art and bios? If this chapter hits 30 votes by Tuesday, I'll share the next set!