Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 11

The very next morning, Malina knocked on Elyse's door at five o'clock sharp. "Dr. Romero? Are you awake?"

Elyse buried her face into her pillow. A groggy cloud of irritation and confusion arose. Her physical with Alessandro wasn't scheduled until three in the afternoon.

What the fuck did Malina want from her at this unholy hour?

"Dr. Romero," the housekeeper called again through the door, "I am sorry to bother you, but you really need to get up."

"Why?" Elyse called toward the door. "Can't it wait another thirty minutes?"

"No," came Malina's prompt reply. "Nils will be driving you to Zurich today. We need to leave soon to make our 9:00 am appointment."

Elyse's eyes flew open.

What appointment?

Why did she need to go to Zurich?

With a disgruntled sigh, she rolled out of bed to unlock her bedroom door. She stared at Malina with suspicion in her eyes. "Why was I not informed of this appointment in Zurich?"

Malina smiled brightly. "Oh—but you were! Didn't Signor Vitale tell you last night that you would be going shopping today? The boutiques in Crans-Montana are quite limited in their selection. Zurich offers much finer goods and services."

Understanding dawned on her. Elyse grimaced. "Give me ten minutes, and we can get on our way."

To Elyse's surprise, however, it was Alessandro and not Malina who ended up accompanying her on this impromptu shopping adventure. The backseat of the Benz had never felt smaller with his large, powerful body sitting beside her slighter one.

Making matters worse, Alessandro's vexation with her from the night before hadn't diminished much at all.

Elyse attempted to make small talk, "How are you today, Mr. Vitale?"

"I am doing wonderfully," he grumbled in mocking tones. "Thank you for asking."

It took Elyse a beat or two to realize that Alessandro was mimicking her response from the evening prior. He seemed to be in a foul mood.

Cautiously, she prodded, "Did you not sleep well last night, Mr. Vitale?"

"No," he bit out, "unlike some people, I have not been sleeping well for the past two months."

Elyse eyed him curiously. In an oddly endearing way, he was acting like a toddler who had his favorite toy taken away.

Was it possible that Alessandro hadn't been as detached from her as she believed?

It was only a presumption, of course, since she wasn't a mind reader. Yet, Elyse understood enough about criminals like Stefano and Alessandro to be wary of their tendencies. They were often prone to dangerous mood swings and frightening whims inspired by impulse. Elyse didn't want to lose this lucrative job simply for grating on Alessandro's nerves.

Suddenly, it seemed necessary to work harder to keep him satiated for, at least, two more years. Elyse was afraid that a rich, attractive playboy like Alessandro might soon tire of her. She needed him to like her, to want to keep her around. Papá's debts still needed to be repaid. Her dreams of freedom still were at stake.

Elyse's walls against the man began to wane. Now that her employer was no longer trying to fuck her, Elyse supposed that it wouldn't hurt to strike up a friendlier, more accommodating relationship with him.

"Thank you for coming with me today," Elyse said sweetly. "It's very generous of you."

He side-eyed her. "I can be a very generous man, Dr. Romero, when provided with the right... incentives."

icon lock

Show your support for T.A. Fan, and continue reading this story

by T.A. Fan
@uxecila
Elyse, a trauma surgeon who owes a debt to the mafia, finds herself i...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 87 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @uxecila.