008.

A CLOSE CALL

The Pevensie's and the beavers ran to the edge of a cliff which was overlooking the broken icy river

"We have to cross, now!" Peter said taking charge.
"Don't beavers make dams?" Emma asked quickly.
"I'm not that fast, dear!" Mr. Beaver explained.
"Come on!" Peter said grabbing Lucy's arm.
"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute?" Susan gasped.
"We don't have a minute," Peter told her.
"I'm just trying to be realistic." Susan sighed.
"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual." Peter rolled his eyes.
A wolf howled behind them.

The secret police had found were the Pevensie's and Beavers were hiding when the fugitives saw Father Christmas.
Another wolf howled.

The wolf's noise made it to the Queen, who looked ahead of her sleigh. The vehicle went faster. The wolves ran faster.

The Pevensie's and the Beavers were rushing down a hidden walkway. The ice was starting to giveaway near them.
Peter stepped forward, but he only broke the ice more.
"Wait, maybe I should go first," Beaver said walking up.
"Maybe you should." Peter nodded.
Beaver started to slowly walk and pat his tail to make sure no ice would crumble.
"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver scolded.
"Well, you never know which meals gonna be your last," Beaver grunted. "Especially with your cooking."
The four Pevensie's started after the Beavers. Slowly but surely.
Lucy screamed and grabbed ahold of Emma's arm when more ice cracked under her feet.
"If mum knew what we were doing," Susan started.
"Mum's not here!" Peter turned to look at his younger sister.
"Peter, Susan." Emma scolded.
"Oh no!" Lucy yelled looking up.
Above them, on the frozen waterfall, the wolves were running.
"Run!" Peter yelled pulling Lucy behind him.
"Hurry!" Susan shrieked.
The wolves made their way down and jumped in front of Beaver on the other side. Lucy screamed and the Pevensie's plus Mrs. Beaver tried to go back, however, the ice was breaking a lot more.
Beaver tried to scare the wolves back but one just ended up attacking him.
"No!" Mrs. Beaver screamed reaching to her husband.
"Peter!" Lucy screamed for her brother. Peter unsheathed his sword.
"Put that down boy." Maugrim snarled. Peter pushed all his siblings behind him. Well, all the siblings that are there.
"Someone could get hurt." Maugrim continued as he walked slowly forward.
"Don't worry about me!" Beaver yelled to the boy. "Run him through!"
"Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you," Maugrim warned them.
"Stop, Peter! Maybe we should listen to him!" Susan told her brother.
"Susan!" Emma yelled quietly.
Maugrim chuckled. "Smart girl."
"Don't listen to him!" Beaver yelled struggling against the wolf holding him down. "Kill him! Kill him now!"
"Oh, come on. This isn't your war." Maugrim huffed. "All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go."
Emma scoffed. "Right, sure she does."
"Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan yelled. Peter just glanced at her.
"No, Peter! Narnia needs you!" Beaver yelled. "Gut him while you still have a chance!"
"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam? I won't wait forever." Maugrim said getting closer and closer. "And neither will the river."
Lucy looked up. "Peter, Emma! Look!" Her two eldest siblings looked up at the frozen waterfall. The ice was breaking and the water was rushing out.
"Hold onto me!" Peter yelled at his siblings around him. Emma grabbed Susan who grabbed Peter's arm, Mrs. Beaver grabbed Emma's jacket. Lucy gripped Peter's other arm. Peter lifted his sword and stabbed it into the ice. He gripped it and the siblings (and beaver) waited.
Maugrim looked up and whined not expected this outcome.