A Text Message.

Chapter 3

Both Todoroki and Midoriya get the next day off work so they could start making calls. The first one is to Inko, asking her to come over so they could break the news in a nicer way. They also had to tell her the doctors requested she did got tested for ALS, to see if it was an inherited case.

"Oh Izuku! It's so good to see you, though I was a little surprised when you asked me to come over. Shouldn't you be working, honey? " Inko says, wrapping her son in a huge hug the second she walked in the door.

"Hey Mom! It's good to see you too. Come on in, Shoto is in the living room," Midoriya says, trying to keep his voice light and cheerful .

Inko instantly sees right through her son, but she says nothing, waiting for him to bring it up on his own. She follows Midoriya to the living room, giving Shoto a small wave.

"Hello, Mrs. Midoriya," Todoroki says politely.

"Oh Shoto, I've told you you can call me Inko, dear," she replies with a warm smile. "You've been dating Izuku for years now. Next thing you know, you two will be getting married!"

When the boys here and go talking about marriage, they both involuntarily tense. It was something they hadn't really considered yet, and now the chance to spend years married was taken from them. What was the point in rushing so they can't get married in the little window of life Midoriya had left? It wouldn't be the same as if it has happened naturally.

Inko had noticed the way the boys tensed and begin to worry if they'd call her here to tell her they broke up. "Izuku, it is... Is there something wrong?"

Midoriya takes a deep breath, partly to calm himself, but mostly to avoid answering. How do you tell your mother you have a fatal disease unlikely we have less than three years to live? There wasn't really a good way to do that.

"Mom...... I.... I have ALS. I was diagnosed yesterday and was told I have three to five years to live," Midoriya says, looking at his hands the whole time.

Inko down for a moment, trying to wrap her head around what her son was saying. "But.... Can't do the doctors do anything? Isn't there cure?"

Both boys stay silent, which answers Inko's question. There was no cure.

"How?" Inko whispers. "How is there no cure? So many other things have been cured..."

"A failing of the old world government. They didn't dedicate the time or the money to research the illness, so people continue to suffer today," Todoroki says softly.

"Oh Izuku... Do the doctors have any idea of how you got it?" Inko asks, wringing her hands in her lap.

Midoriga thought back to the email Dr. Renzo had sent, outlining the basics of the disease. "Well, most cases are random, but five to ten percent are inherited. My doctor thinks you should get tested, mom," he says, glad his mother wouldn't have to go through the array of testing he did.

"I'll book an appointment later today. Izuku baby.... Is there anything I can do for you?" Inko asks, feeling tears start to prick her eyes. Her poor boy... What ever had he done to deserve all the bad things the world threw at him?

"I think we're alright for now. Th-thanks mom," Midoriya says, his voice breaking slightly.

"Promise you'll ask if you need something?"

Midoriya just nods, not trusting himself to speak. Todoroki wraps his arms around the smaller boy's waist, pulling him close. Inko gets up to leave, pausing to give each boy a brief hug before she left. The boys sat together silently, gathering themselves.