Book 3: Chapter 4: Pain, Bread, and... D'oh!

My hatred for these chapters is incomprehensible. Fuck these chapters, and my life. I have never been through so much of  a block and it shows. Terribly disappointed 2/10. 

I couldn't even come up with a good title for the chapter. THEY ALL MEAN BREAD why am I doing this. 

But I did like the siblings' little chat. And I'm a sucker for protective Sokka. 

I'm so sorry I took so long, but thank you all for waiting so patiently. My exams went well, and now classes have started again BOOOOOOO. 

*

When (Y/n) explained that she was from another universe, the others took one moment and then burst out laughing. Katara called her crazier than usual and Toph only patted her hand, saying that spending too much time with Sokka has made her like him (Sokka took offense to that). Aang, however, tried to be nicer and more subtle, but his seemed more insulting than ever, claiming she was... very creative.

It's not like she could prove, at that very moment, that she was truly from another universe unless something serious were to happen and she could predict it before it happens.

They very much liked the idea of smartphones. Calling anyone from all around the world? Sounded brilliant. (Y/n) pretended not to notice Sokka jotting the idea down. Along with all the inventions he tried to pry from her through his seductive, food-bribing ways.

Even when she explained Kim, they were a little put off, and she thought she finally had them, but they then chalked it up to bad acting.

Bad acting? Bad acting???

What a fucking insult, absolutely bruising, really.

It was deeply disturbing that Sokka out of all of them believed her.

But it wasn't over yet, not by a long shot.

Toph narrows her eyes, barely inches away from (Y/n)'s face—she's elevated on a rock to match her height—and spits, "One more time."

(Y/n) sighs, hands on her hips. "I'm from another universe."

"Baffling," Toph replies under her breath. "It's like she's telling the truth."

"That's because I am! Like the last eight times you've asked, Toph! Now, can I please go swimming?"

They're all in their swimming wear, lounging in the pool of water carved in a crater. All except (Y/n), who's been upheld by a furious ten-year-old.

"And there aren't any benders there?"

She shakes her head. "Everyone's normal, I guess."

Toph throws herself onto the edge of the crater, arms crossed and looking so indignant as if she can't believe a universe that doesn't have benders.

Aang has taken to blocking out anything she said purely because the first thing he had asked was, "So, there isn't an Avatar? I would've been a normal kid?" Which broke her heart a little, but maybe he isn't taking it as hard because he's swimming with a smile on his face.

Katara looks like she doesn't believe her, and the fact that Sokka vouched for her made Katara doubly suspicious because she never trusted her older brother after the tons of pranks he had put her through.

Sokka swims to the edge of the crater and props his elbows up, staring at her as he shakes away his wet hair. He quirks a brow. "You seem disappointed. I mean, it's one thing to not believe you; it's another to insult your acting skills and... creative mind." He's grinning rather wickedly.

"As angry as I am about that – my acting skills are on par, by the way – it's more about the fact that it's all so anticlimactic." (Y/n) plops down at the edge and dips her feet in. It's warm, with the sun rays warming the area. As her feet begin swaying in the water, Sokka nudges close enough that his head presses against her thigh, warm from the water and, and she can feel his bare chest if she so much as shifted her leg to the left. "At least you got a bit of a headache and stared at me like I was crazy. They just... accepted it?"