Comfort Me chapter 4

It wasn't long before the alarm was sounding in the DEO and Kara rushed inside the lab.

"The portal's open. I have to leave now. Is it done?"

Lena nodded and hurried to attach the prototype to the superhero's back.

"I built it so that we can track your vitals as well," Lena explained as she slipped a wire inside Supergirl's suit, just above her heart.

She felt the skin underneath her touch warm up considerably and looked up to see Supergirl blushing furiously, looking straight ahead. She looked back at her hand and suddenly realized where it was touching, feeling the heat rushing over to her face, her mind going blank for a moment.

"I-I--" It wasn't often she found herself at a loss of words, stammering no less, all her boardroom training failing miserably. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right," Kara mumbled, not daring to look at her, her hands clenching and unclenching in a nervous habit. "You were saying?"

"Yes... Hum..." Lena had to take a step back from Kara. "I can track your vitals. If you lose consciousness before we realize it, the circuit will emit an alarm and we can pull you out of there immediately."

Despite the heat still burning in her cheeks, Kara smiled and leaned in to give her a quick kiss on the cheek. "You're a lifesaver, Miss Luthor," she said softly, her eyes bright with the pride she felt for her friend. "Thank you for keeping me safe."

Lena nodded, not trusting her voice.

"Kara? We have to go!" Alex poked her head inside the lab, her eyebrows raised impatiently.

Of course, Kara was wasting precious time talking to Lena Luthor!

"All done?" Kara asked Lena, the rush of excitement she always felt before a mission already coursing through her, making her shuffle her feet, another nervous habit.

"Yes," Lena answered, amused.

She had never seen Kara or Supergirl like this. Maybe the superhero now felt comfortable enough to show that side of her to Lena. Supergirl was usually much more self-controlled and self-assured than Kara Danvers, but this quirk was Kara all over.

"Great! Thanks, Lena!" Kara grinned at her and rushed to the door.

"Kara!" Lena called out just as she was about to leave.

Kara turned around, the question on her lips dying at the pleading in Lena's eyes. Her expression softened into a gentle smile, understanding. "Always," she said softly, her blue eyes warm and full of something Lena couldn't quite understand.

Lena closed her eyes as she left and sighed, her stomach clenching in knots.

"You know, I already had a nerd crush on you," Lena jumped at the sound of Winn's voice and turned sharply around. She had completely forgotten he was still in the lab, "but after seeing where your hand was just moments ago without getting your wrist broken and still getting Supergirl to blush that shade of red, I dare say I'm head over heels in love with you."

Lena quickly regained her composure, welcoming this silly conversation, her right eyebrow rising. "I'm flattered," she said, her voice sounding flat.

She returned to her computer and started opening several windows, Kara's vitals already on display on another screen in front of her, her heartbeat strong and steady.

"Did she... I mean, you guys..." a slap on the back of his head stopped his questioning and he winced at the unexpected scolding.

"Focus, Mr. Schott, we have a planet to save."