Chapter Nine

*Authors Note: I will update more uwu*

"Our legacy as it stands today is upheld by the fallen, a beacon for the survivors, and a new light for the ones sheltered from the horrors that shaped our very way of life. We remain not despite our past; but because of it."

Albus trailed on, detailing the perilous conditions that led us to the final breaking point that was the war. Although poignant it was, and at times tearful, the sorrowful feeling that surrounded even the most happy-go-lucky of students made us all wish for the toast we knew would end the speech. We heard the long-awaited "Cheers" and sat to eat, the tension immediately dispelling as food levitated up to the table top and students dug in.

Albus took his seat next to the new Co-Headmaster, Snape. His oily hair fell atop his forehead as it always did, but this time there was a different kind of look in his eyes than the cruel one that was his hallmarked look. Now, his black eyes felt knowing and kind. It might have been that this was in fact not "the old Snape." His former self had died during the war, but now instead of in commemorative painting, he existed in flesh and blood. Due to large donations by the Malfoy family, an experimental spell was performed, one that would bring back the both famous and infamous Snape, along with Dumbledore. They would protect the school that sat on this hallowed site.

"Hey, 'Mione. I've been doing some thinking." Malfoy slung his school things down and sat next to Hermione, throwing his arm around her.

"What about?" Hermione was worried. She wasn't sure why but something seemed up. He was being secretive, no surprise there, but he was also being affectionate... And he had something to talk to her about.

"Well, I'll tell you later, I've gotta get to Flitwick's, I've missed the last three classes n' if I miss the next one he'll have me skinned." He gave me a quick peck on the cheek and bolted.

This was a definite red flag. A kiss? She was prepared for a lot of things, but not this. Her cheeks were flushed and her forehead damp. Her mind was even more flustered. Her thoughts raced, full of hypothetical situations. Was he going to ask her out? Is he dying of a terminal illness? Was he gay? Hah. Malfoy? What a joke.

Her thought were rudely interrupted when she was jostled forward by the herd of students heading to class. She turned around bewildered and was met by Dumbledore's robes.

"Oh, hello Headmaster!" She squeaked, nerves overcoming her despite Albus being her long time role model and eventually friend.

"Hello. I seem to be a bit early for a meeting, do you have a moment?" His tone was, as always, a calming force like no other, and her anxieties were assuaged almost instantly. She followed him through the crowd, students parting to make way for the pair. He bid her into his office, the door closing softly behind them, closing just behind his phoenix. Fawkes floated gracefully towards its perch and peered over at them.

"I must admit that these past weeks with Severus have been pleasant, although at times strained. To ask for your help would be to ask much of you, but my trust has grown and proven time and time again."

"I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean, you sound like you're asking for relationship advice!" She immediately regretted the joke, as his predicament seemed more serious than she first thought, but he chuckled moments later. She had not offended him after all.

"It would seem that it is comparable to a relationship now that you say it. What can I say, Dorothy is my "friend" as well." He chuckled to himself for a few moments. After regaining his composure he stood and walked over to Fawkes, gesturing to the new golden feather that sat amongst Fawkes' many other feathers. "Do you see his new feather? Phoenix gain their golden feather when they have found a life mate. You see it is what is called a Gayim, a golden trophy symbolizing a lifelong relationship. The thing about a phoenix is that they are all homosexual, having relationships with only the same gender. They still reproduce, yes, but it's thought to be secondary and separate to their life mating ritual. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

She was a little confused. Out of all people, wouldn't she understand a scientific explanation of a magical creature? Why would he ask me whether I understood? Come to think of it, why did he give me this explanation anyway?

Before she had time to answer this though, the door of the Headmaster's study creaked open.