Chapter 5

Sams POV

I jolt awake and vomit. My vision is blurry and I'm shaking, I can see my eyes glowing yellow in the dark, I look at my hands and see I'm back in my 16 year old body. I'm glad I left when I did. I can't even stand cause my legs are shaking. I feel my demon tail on the floor, which means, I feel my head. Yep. My horns are there as well, which means I'm back to my original form. I try to get up but I just fall. I have a coughing fit and vomit some more. This is hell. I hear people calling my name? I must be hallucinating. But then the yelling gets louder.

Mabel.....you didn't.... please....I lay on the floor shaking. Please no.....I start crying. I can't let them see me like this....I don't know if I'll have enough energy to hide my features....I muster all of my energy and use as much magic as I can. I fall on the floor. Before I blackout, I see my dad running up to me on the floor......I hope it worked.....

Fords POV

We went in to the forest and started calling out her name "SAM?" "SAM!?" We didn't hear or see anything for 30 minutes. Stanley is the first to speak "Sixer. We've been at this for half an hour... I don't think-" I punch a tree. Everyone goes silent. Mabel then says "A treehouse." I turn around and look at Mabel "What?" She looks excited "Sam said she went to a treehouse! And look!" She points to a tree house in the distance, I beam "SAM!?" We all run to the treehouse, I climb up the ladder first. I hear coughing and some vomiting. Then I hear a little girl crying, Sam! 

I get to the top and run inside the treehouse to see a curled up Sam on the floor. She has fresh tears on her face and she looks extremely pale. I look around and see vomit on the floor, I also see her stuff in the corner. I quickly pick up Sam and hold her, I feel her forehead and it's burning. This level of fever and cold is extremely dangerous. Everyone comes up and sees her in my arms. "She has an extremely bad fever and cold. Can you please grab her stuff? Watch out for the vomit in there as well. Before I climb down the ladder, I see Mabel run up to me with Sams bear in her hands, "She'll need him" I grab him and give it to Sam "Thank you Mabel." She smiles and nods

Timeskip

We get back to the house and I feel Sam shaking in my arms, I lay her in her bed, I put an ice pack on her head. I'll have to give her some medicine in the morning when she wakes up.

I monitor her state while shes sleeping, shes been sleeping for 15 hours straight, I make sure to check her temperature every 20 mins. After about 2 hours she was stabilized, she had a temperature of 105 degrees F. We were lucky she was even alive, she must have had the fever for days for it to have been this bad. Why didn't I notice? She wasn't acting any different? Or was she? I'm still new to this whole parenting thing...

Sam moves in her sleep a bit. I change out her Ice pack on her head and drink some more coffee. I haven't slept since we found Sam, I needed to monitor her state, of course Stanley tried to stop me. I wonder if i'm a good father to Sam? It still baffles me how she even exists in the first place. The facts just don't add up. I yawn. 

It seems that over the years coffee doesn't have an effect on me anymore. I sigh. I'll just have to endure the night without the caffeine, but i'm going to drink it anyway, to trick my brain. 

Timskip

She has been sleeping for 27 hours now, her state has turned into a normal fever and average cold, thank god. it was now 7:30 am and I could hear everyone getting up. I hear footsteps come into my room and I know who it is just by the atmosphere of the room, I sigh, "I know you're mad at me Stanley, but you know why I had to stay up." I hear him sigh. "You should have at least let me help you poindexter." I chuckle at the nickname. He walks over and stares at her. "We don't have to worry Stanley, her temperature  levels have gone to a normal fever and a slight cold." He sighs in relief. 

We then hear Mabel run into the room. Shes just as worried as I was. She looks at Sam with a mixture of sadness and worry, I gesture for her to come closer. She holds Sams hand. "She's alright Mabel, I was just telling Stanley that she just has a normal cold and fever now." I smile at her, her expression didn't change much, she seemed less worried now but she looked guilty. Stanley touches my shoulder, smiles and takes Dipper out of the room. Dipper must have come in the room a little bit after Mabel. 

I put my hand on Mabel's shoulder, she had tears in her eyes. I rub circles on her back. Her grip on Sam tightens and she starts crying. "I-I-I'm *hic* I-Im" I hug her while she continues to cry. "I-I'm so s-sorry Grunkle Ford....I d-didn't tell you about S-sam a-and-" I interrupt her "You were just helping out your friend Mabel, she asked you not to follow her or tell anyone where she was and you wanted to respect her wishes, you didn't know the cold and fever were as bad as they were. You saved her Mabel. If you didn't tell us where she was, then she would have most likely have died. " 

She cries more. After 10 mins she calmed down, she sniffled and said "Thank you Grunkle Ford, but I really am sorry about Sam..." I smiled at her. "I know you are Mabel." We hug each other and I get an idea. "Mabel, how about I get some well needed rest while you keep an eye on Sam for me. If she wakes up then tell me, okay?" She smiles and nods. I sit up and walk out of the room closing the door behind me.

While on the way to the lab to sleep on the couch, I see Stanley sitting at the kitchen table, it looks like he's in deep thought. I sit next to him, and he gets startled. "Hey Stanford." now I knew something was up, he rarely ever called me Stanford. "Whats the matter Stanley?" he pulls out the note Sam gave us. "Something feels off about this note." I look at him with surprise. what's off about Sams note? "What do you mean?" I ask.

He slides the note over to me. "Re read it." I pick up the note and do as he says. 

'Dear Pines Family, I am feeling home sick. So I'm going to go back home for a few days, I will be back as soon as I can, do not worry I am fine. I love you all very much! Love Sam'

I roll my eyes. "We already established that the note was off Stanley, that's why we went to go get Sam" He shakes his head. "For once you're not thinking with your head poindexter!" I'm taken back. "Its the words she used. Why would she lie about being homesick? It doesn't make sense with what you told me about her abusive mom, Sam maybe a kid, but shes your kid. She knows you know about her abusive mom, so why would she say that knowing you would read the note? Simple answer." For once I didn't know what to say. "She was in a rush to write the note, which means she wrote down the first thing out of her head, and the first thing she thought was?" I face palm myself. I finally got it. "That she was homesick..." I sigh. 

"Why would Sam feel homesick if her mom was abusive?" I ask. Stanley looked like he already thought of that question earlier and answered it. "Sixer. As much as it pains me to say this. I think Sam doesn't feel at home here..." I get angry. "How could you say that Stanley!?" He stares into my eyes "Because I know what it's like to be homesick with your family around..." I get taken back by this statement. I look at him and he just stares out side the window. "W-what do you mean Stanley?" His face gets sad and serious. 

"After I pushed you into the portal, I felt like a piece of me was taken away. When the kids came around, I was happy to have a family again! Hell I love those kids! But....I was constantly homesick, I didn't get why. I had a home, family, and friends, it wasn't until I saw your face for the first time in 30 years that I got why....you were always my home....I didn't matter how far away I went, or how long I was there. If I had you by my side, then I never felt homesick." Tears drop down on my face. "Stanley...." he looks at me with tears in his eyes as well.

I get up and hug him. "You're my home too Stanley..."