5. Do You Trust Me?

Monday 28th January

"Alright little'un," I hum as I crouch down in front of the little girl whose arm I've just put into a cast, "gonna be a big girl for me and your mum and dad?"

The five year-old beams at me, nodding fervently as she grazes her index finger over the purple gauze on her cast. "Yes, Doctor Niki."

"Adda-girl." I grin back, giving a soft pinch to her cheek. I stand to face her parents who are smiling at me from just behind their daughter, and her father shakes my hand.

"Thank you so much, Nikita. Know she probably overreacted a little but..."

I chuckle and shake my head, brushing the matter with a brief wave of my hand. "No, not at all. Breaking that part of your body hurts like hell, she's a brave girl."

Her father smiles at me, glancing down to his little girl. "Well, thank you anyway. You really calmed her down."

"My absolute pleasure. If you stop by the nurses station, you'll need to book an appointment to get the cast removed in six weeks time. They'll give you all the care instructions you need in the meantime."

The parents and the little girl thank me once more before they head off on their way, leaving me to finally inhale a long and much needed sigh of relief. I look at the clock on the wall, and I feel nothing but disdain towards the time. Once again I've stayed much longer than my penned shift, I'm exhausted, and I'm no longer in the mood to entertain stupid fractures and whiney adults.

Roberta appears beside me with a sympathetic smile, but I'm nothing short of grateful when I see the absence of a clipboard in her hands. "Before you run away-,"

I groan, my head rolling back on my neck as I glare at the ceiling. "What now?"

My nurse friend chuckles, placing a hand on my shoulder. "It's nothing terrible, I swear."

"Go on, then." I huff, dropping my gaze back to her.

"You remember that officer who was in here your first week? The one who insisted he take you for a drink?"

I'm desperately trying to hide my smirk, but I know Roberta can see the pride glaring from my eyes. How could I forget the devilishly handsome Officer Hindley, or Callum as he'd insisted I call him? Eyes as blue as the sky, with that rare but wondrous thing to see on a man where his eyelashes are dark and defined. He was perhaps a little overly muscular for my liking since his biceps nearly ripped his skinny fit shirt open at the seams, and his chat was... only a little above average. His talents in the bedroom however were something to commend, but since Harry, I'd all but forgotten of his existence. Never mind.

"Yeah, I remember." I try (and fail) to keep my voice even.

Roberta snorts at the catch in my voice but never comments on it. "Well, he's here. Asking for you. I mean, he didn't just turn up, he brought in some twat with a bleeding upper arm, but yeah. He's... around."

I grimace a little, not much up for humouring an egotistical police officer when I could be heading home and sleeping. "How much time do I have to escape without him seeing me?"

"Oh, he's... waiting in the seating area for you." Roberta mumbles, and limply gestures behind me towards the waiting room.

I roll my lips into my mouth and look to the floor, but admittedly it's a little amusing and I'm trying not to laugh. "Did... did he hear me?"

My friend tries not to laugh with me, and shrugs limply while glancing over my shoulder. "I don't think so. But he is watching you with this weird like, half smile."