Long Lasting Friendship

Yui's pov

Now as you would imagine, living at the orphanage wasn't the best. It might not have been like the movies that portrayed it as a child snatching place, but it definitely wasn't all sun shine and happy rainbows.

The headmistress, a middle aged civilian lady who definitely has Live Laugh Love on her wall, was obnoxiously fake. Her husband wasn't so bad, whenever he bothered to stop by, however I felt sorry for him.

Mrs. Colby was 100% sleeping with her coworker. While I might not have been a Nara anymore by blood, I was still one at heart and in head. She made it painfully obvious with all their gross giggles and "secret" looks.

Other then the 1 or 2 rowdy kids, most of them stayed away from me. I suppose I did look quite frightening. Missing an eye, long purple hair and bangs that desperately needed to be cut.

I was certainly a sight to see.

I didn't particularly want to talk to the other kids either. My attitude had significantly changed since the first week of being here.

At first I wanted nothing more than to make friends with everyone, but quickly that came to a stand still when I saw how everyone treated Naruto.

They treated him like dirt under their shoe. Unimportant. It was sad to see, kids his own age turning their backs to him, refusing to let him join in on anything. And the workers; oh they were the worst.

If something got broken, it was Naruto. If a kid ended up hurt, it was Naruto. They blamed him for everything that went wrong, simply to have an excuse to punish him.

It was disgusting and definitely changed my attitude towards everyone here. I knew why they did what they did. The story of Naruto Uzumaki the boy with the 9 tailed beast sealed inside him, Kurama.

They had been hurt, devastated by the attack on the leaf village. They looked for anyone to blame for the sorrow they felt, and so Naruto became an easy target.

My attitude had changed, I would not allow people to mess with my friend. I found myself snapping at anyone who tried anything, which ended up putting me in the same punishments as him.

I didn't mind to much. It gave us more time to talk and get closer. All my previous life Naruto had been the strong one. Looking after the Village, protecting it from anyone who would seek harm.

Now it was my turn to protect Naruto.

With a squeaky voice that could hardly get her words out without stumbling, I became a rock protecting Naruto from the people who bullied him.

For two years this remained our dynamic.

Two long years I was in that orphanage. Everyday became a pattern, get up, eat breakfast with all the other kids, go find a quiet place to sit and nap, get woken up by Naruto wanting to pull one of his pranks and being forced to participate.
Frequently Naruto and I would sneak outside and explore the Village. We got up to loads of trouble every time.

Occasionally someone would come to look at the kids to adopt.

Naruto and I always stayed back when that happened. I knew he would never get adopted and I had no desire to be. In a way Naruto became my life line. My tether to the old life I used to live.