Chapter 8

Cooper

I headed to the thrift shop with forty dollars in my pocket. At the store, I bought a fake nose adhesive, chocolate-colored contacts, artifical buck teeth, stick-on sideburns, and a dreadlock wig that had scraggly brown hair to match the sideburns. I tried them on and immediately decided that it was so ugly that it might work.

But did I really want to do this?

Of course I did. My family wouldn't miss me. They never did. They were far too busy with their own lives.

A small, traitorous stone of doubt made it through my emotionless shell.
Maybe they would miss me...

No. I couldn't afford to think like that.

At one in the morning, I put my plan in action. When my plan was done, my bedsheets were ripped and in tatters, my window broken, red paint was splashed all over my room, most of my belongings were strewn everywhere, and on my pillow, there was a note. It said:

You know what what you did. You can try to save your son, but it's too late. I only meant to cut off his arm, but the knife slipped. Oops. Who will be next?

-Golden Poison Dart Frog

The reason I picked this alias is because the golden poison dart frog is so small, so insignificant-looking that nobody ever takes the time to look out for it, then BAM! It strikes, leaving you with about four minutes to write your will and say your prayers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kayli Smithlock

I couldn't help but wonder, where is my son, Cooper? He usually is the first to be ready in the morning. Anyway, Cooper can't be a late bum today, or any day,  because lazy future alphas become lazy alphas. I turned to my husband, the alpha. "Dominique, have you seen Cooper?"

The alpha gazed back, confusion clouding his eyes. "No. I wasn't paying attention."

"I'm not sure. I'll wake him up." I hurried up the stairs and paused by his door. "Cooper? Are you in there?"

Nothing.

"What do you think, Sia?" I asked my wolf.

My wolf responded with, "I feel like something happened. Be on your guard, and I'm here if you need me."

"Thanks." I flung the door open, letting out a gurgly, strangled wail. "DOMINIQUE!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dominique

I heard Kayli scream, so of course I sprinted to her side. I was prepared to see anything. Well, almost anything. What I didn't expect to see was a murder scene. Every drawer and surface of Cooper's room was clear. Everything in his room was on the floor. Papers, clothes, books, literally everything. Blood was everywhere, and his window was broken. What scared me the most was the note on his pillow. It read:

You know what you did. You can try to save your son, but it's too late. I only meant to cut off his arm, but the knife slipped. Oops. Who will be next?
- Golden Poison Dart Frog

Kayli stood there, not saying anything, and her face turned whiter than a sheet.

Then she walked away.

Deep within me, my wolf Terseus covered his face with his paws. All the missed opportunities with my son flooded through my head in a single, crushing wave.

"Daddy?" Four year old Cooper stared up at me earnestly, holding a plastic baseball and bat in his chubby little fingers.

"Hmm?" I muttered, annoyed, not glancing up from my screen. There seemed to be werecat trouble on the border. It would have to be dealt with. I sighed.

"Teach me!" The tiny boy squeaked happily, shaking the ball and bat. He danced around, waving them until he lost his balance and fell on his backside.

I ran a hand through my dark hair and groaned internally. "Not now. I'm busy."

"But you said that las' time!" Cooper sniffed, crestfallen. "And the time before that. And before that. And before--"

My patience snapped. "Look, I have work to do. Go bother your mom."

Cooper's small chest sagged, and his face crinkled up. Tears dripped down his round cheeks. "Ok."

Seven year Cooper burst through the door of the master bedroom, tears streaming down his face. "Dad!"

I rolled over. "Yeah?"

He stopped by my bed. "I...I had this horrible dream. I was in a boat on a river and there was thunder and lightning and it was raining and there was this huge--"

I cut him off. "They were only dreams. Go back to bed."

My son stared at me incredulously, before turning and slinking out of the room.

Eleven year Cooper ran up to me, shaking a paper in delight. "Look Dad! I printed out a cake recipe I thought you'd like! Happy Birthday!"

I glanced at him. "That's great, Cooper," I sighed.

He stood taller, waiting for a real compliment, then shrank back when I turned back to my crossword.

I clenched and unclenched my hands. Why had I missed so many opportunities with my only son? I realized tears were running down my face and I turned away from the scene.

"I'm so sorry, son."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Roxanne

I was updating my Instagram in my room when I heard my mom scream and my dad's footsteps as he raced toward her. I figured that it may be a good idea to see what was causing the commotion. My feet clicked on the ground as I trotted down the hallway navigating my way mostly by memory. Slowly, my eyes tearing from the bright screen, I glanced up and saw my Dad standing in the entrance to Cooper's room. I forgot all about Instagram. I dropped my phone and raced to the scene. It took about a second for me to take it all in. If was a horrific bloodbath, with the vile liquid all over the walls and the bed. On the pillow there was a note, which I sprinted up to and read.

Something inside me snapped. I collapsed on the ground, holding the note in my hands. Whoever did this would not getaway. Cooper will be avenged, if it's the last thing I do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cooper

I crouched behind the curtains in our living room, watching the whole thing unfold. The guilt almost tore me apart. If my instinct was right, then my soulmate was rotting in a prison and I had to get her out. If I was wrong....I froze when I realized something. I had no backup plan.

What do you think will happen?

Vexi