Chapter 11

Stella

I can't let them figure out my secret. If they do, I don't even want to imagine what'll happen to me. Even worse, they're soulmates and they don't know it. If they don't know it, then their thoughts will randomly flood into each other's mind without control. If they were to know, then they could shut them out, but without, no. If Ava were to find out my secret, then Cooper also would know, and that would be the last straw.

If they learn my secret, then they will learn Dylan's secret as well, and that can't happen. I walked into the employee only section of the prison, trying to ignore my sister, Rose's screams. That was difficult, because she screams louder when she's scared. I knew where the screams were coming from. The door at the end of the hall. Dylan keeps her chained in there and the lord knows what he does to her, but if I were to get help, it would be the end of Rose. My poor sister...

It felt like I died a little every night, listening to her. I have only clung to this wretched, horrible life so long to find a way to set her free.

I have to get Ava and Cooper out of here, because if they figure out this secret I keep, I don't want to carry my sister' s death on my conscience.  That's how it is. Dylan will let Doug and I tell whomever we want, for a price. Rose's life. That's why I want Cooper and Ava out of here.

It's my off hour now, from two to three. At this hour every day, I close my eyes and ears and submerge myself in horrible memories that I will never break free of.

My first day of illegal training, and already I'm doing well. Doug, my trainer, can't find a simulation good enough for me. My eyes take in every feature, absorbing them and reshaping them according to the real thing. I was being trained to recognize faces underneath layers of makeup, fake cheekbones, artificial noses,  spray - tan, stick-on mustaches, anything. Even Doug, who is the most gifted face recaller, wasn't this good on his first day.

My older sister, Rose, was having trouble. She couldn't tell which disguised simulation matched with which undisguised simulation, even though it was crystal to me.

A couple months later, we had our first real job. We worked at East Moonshadow Prison, catching the most crafty disguises and cunning makeup.

A week later, Dylan came along. A true criminal, under arrest for assault and carrying unauthorized firearms. I didn't know this at the time, but he had a false alias; Ted Purge. My sister, Rose, fell in love with him at first sight, but they weren't even soulmates! I guess I could understand why. He was handsome in a warlike way and had that chiseled face, with a dark, dangerous gait that made him seem so powerful and maybe to Rose...seductive?

She brought him REAL food every day, and he instantly recognized her affections. He charmed her into bringing him the key to his cell, and when she did, he flew out of the cell and into the old head of security's office, murdering the head of security with his own machete, which was kept in the office for protection. He saw the open files on the head of security's desk, and read the open one on top. I don't know exactly what it said, but it told him about the illegal training Rose and I had received from Doug, who also worked at the prison as a face recaller. That was all Dylan needed.

When Rose appeared in the office doorway, he knocked her out with the machete's handle and dragged her to the back room, chaining her there. I heard her scream and ran into the back room, Doug following me.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Rose was already chained to a pole, her back bearing countless lashes from a whip. Her remaining clothes hung limply on her, barely covering the necessary areas. I let out a sob and leapt toward her.

"Get back!" Dylan screamed. "The whip flashed through the air, slicing the side of my neck.

Blinding pain shot through me and I staggered back.

Doug thrust me behind him.

Dylan turned and glared at Doug and I. Doug was in his forties, and I had never seen him wince, but he cringed slightly at the power, malice, and ruthlessness in the man's eyes.

"You will NEVER, EVER tell ANYBODY about today," he howled, eyes filled with crazed loathing. "If I find out that you squealed to the bloody werewolf council,  your sister will be whipped seventy-two times. Hard. If I'm in a good mood. If I'm in a bad mood, she'll bite it. Slowly and painfully."

I sobbed and swayed unsteadily on my feet. Doug grabbed my arm and steadied me.

"NOW LEAVE!" Dylan roared.

Neither of us moved.

"Fine then, I will whip her till you beat it," he hissed, his voice icily calm. He carried out that promise, so we left as fast as possible.

Later that night, Doug contacted his face recall organization and explained everything. The illegal organization split up and scattered throughout the world, away from Moonshadow, Dylan, and their fellow werewolf and werecat neighbors, leaving me, Doug, and most of all, Rose, to rot here in this roach - infested prison. In a way, we too were prisoners. Dylan, the self-appointed new head of security at the jail, ran the security systems. He ran the security systems correctly so nobody discovered the ruse, and it is working. It's been six months, and nobody has suspected a thing.

I don't know how much longer I can take it.

How was this chapter? Wasn't it creepy and a little dark? Should I do more chapters like this? Please vote and comment! Thanks for reading! - Vexwolf