Chapter 16

Ava

I leaned over to hug Stella, which was an awkward process, considering that fact that I was still in the hospital bed.

I rubbed my hand over her back, accidentally sliding my hand up the back of her shirt. As I pulled my hand out, I felt some upraised skin on her lower back.

A scar?

"What happened?" I asked, running my hand over the scar.

"Dylan gave me that over a year ago when he killed Doug's mate," she murmured, eyes down.

I accepted this knowledge with silence, thrown back into a deep state of shock that I had lapsed into. Nothing could shock me anymore. I still can't believe that my brother's a murderer. I would be more shocked, but my brain still hadn't accepted the truth. Before he turned into a werewolf, he was so sensitive and sweet. And now, he is a wanted criminal. For the record, though, Stella, Doug, and even Cooper don't know my last name or that the murderer was my brother."I was wondering if we could ask Doug's soulmate link Doug and see where he is."

"Good thinking," Stella responded.

Suddenly, my eyes drooped. Stella noticed and picked up her book. "You get some sleep. That's an order, missy," she commanded, trying and failing to imitate a colonel's tone.

I closed my eyes.

"Ava, we haven't run in a long time, and you also haven't spoken to me." Arria growled.

"I'm sorry, Arria. Can it wait? We will hunt as soon as I recover."

"Okay."

I was about to drift fully into sleep, but a new voice interrupted me.

"When'll you be able to leave?" Cooper's voice rang through my head.

"Soon, hopefully. I wish you could come up here," I told him.

"Tell me about it," he growled, his voice husky with frustration.

"So the receptionist still thinks you're an immoral scumbag who likes to do inappropriate things with women?" I asked, only half - teasing.

"Haha. No, it's not that. It's just that no man is allowed to be in the room with a recovering women, regardless of the fact that they could be soulmates," he informed me.

"I see. Well anyway, good night," I murmured.

"Good NIGHT?! It's only the afternoon!" He huffed.

"That means I'm about to take a nap, Smart One," I hissed playfully.

"Ah. Good night."

"Goodnight," I murmured, then sank like a rock into a pool of unconsciousness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cooper

With nothing else on my mind, my thoughts drifted to my family. The people who thought I was killed. I never imagined that they would be so upset. Yeah, I knew my parents, Dominique and Kayli, would be sad when I faked my death, but that devastated? Never in a million years. And Roxanne? She was devastated. I never knew she cared that I was in her life. Electronics were her life.

The guilt tore me apart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ava

"Wake up, sugar bug," the nurse chirped, prodding me awake.

I blinked in the too-bright lights. "Huhhhh?"