Chapter 1

An English Open Novella Contest 2021 Entry

Contest Prompt

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain

TW: Talk of sexual violence

PAST

The last vestiges of purple hued sunlight danced on the horizon, illuminating the ash riddled peak to the east. Ira had no time to admire the beautiful sunset for the laundry basket at her feet demanded her attention.

She was humming a favourite tune from her balcony when a dark rock landed on a newly washed bedsheet. Ira's fury bubbled over and she leaned over the dark railing ready to give her piece of mind.

"You promised to give me a tour of the palace," The new servant boy, Leiv, gave a cheerful wave. His green eyes were hidden beneath an overgrown, mop of ash blond hair.

"I made no such promises! I'm a very important personal maid to the Royal family and my time is not my own," Ira exclaimed. She glared concealing the giddiness ignited within her breast.

All the palace maids were giggling over the handsome servant boy. Why he had chosen to accost her again instead of the girls was beyond her. Despite her rising ire at his persistence she could not help but steal a look at his smiling face.

"Only one of the twenty. You've served the royal family personally how many times?" The tall boy challenged.

From the connecting terrace the boy clambered up the stone staircase. He propped himself up the thick railing and crossed his long legs. With an unflinching stare the servant gazed at Ira through the white, hanging sheets.

"I'm getting there. I was only just promoted to laundry. I shall be serving their meals soon enough. And mind yourself. If you fall down your body will disintegrate before it reaches the ground," The dark haired girl admonished.

"I can't even count all the floors when at the bottom of the tower. Is it five hundred or six hundred stories? The ground is not visible right now," Liev asked with a curious slant of his head.

His ash hair brushed his narrow face as he leaned over the edge to get a better look of the daunting ground level. If it were not for the clouds swirling around the tower he would have seen the rocky, arid terrain underneath. All the water from the mountains diverted to the tower leaving very little for vegetation or the population living underneath.

The earth suddenly rumbled indicating the ash sodden mountain was furious. A wave of dust spewed all over the horizon. Ira sprinted towards Leiv instead of gathering the laundry as she should have.

"Watch yourself," The braided girl cried out as the gust of wind fluttered her long skirts about. Leiv's already wild hair flew about exposing his sharp, green eyes. For Ira the sounds of the howling wind disappeared.

The girl held onto the boy with all her might until the turbulence died down. She was afraid he would tumble down the high tower and disappear forever. The gigantic palace never felt stable when the mountain peak revealed its true nature.

Leiv continued to grin at her in his mischievous way making Ira frown. She huffed as she realised she had invaded his personal space and now had a deathly tight grip onto his thighs. The dark haired girl abruptly let go as if he was hotter then the spewed ash.