Chapter 4

Past

The blood red sun was setting in the distance. It's rays glimmered through the rising ash of the dark mountain. All was still for now.

Ira smoothed the wrinkles down her plain, olive green skirt. She had never met Leiv without her uniform and had no wish to look lacking. She had no ornamentation to adorn herself but felt satisfied by her tidy appearance.

Through the hustle and bustle of the seventy sixth floor Ira moved at a fast pace. She had given Leiv a time and place to meet but she wondered whether he could even find it. He always asked so many questions about the various hallways and still managed to get lost.

Her feet skidded to a halt as she found the boy but it was his companion that gave her pause. Lucita giggled at Leiv's clever words and Ira pursed her lips. The other girl's unexpected presence was vexing.

Ira could march away, head held high and enjoy the market place all on her own or she could walk up to the pair and claim Leiv's strong hand. Thankfully the servant boy caught her gaze and no decision making was necessary.

The ash haired boy gave Lucita a quick farewell which she punctuated with a lingering kiss on the cheek. Leiv just laughed at the bold move and ambled forward to where Ira stood frozen.

Ira nodded at him in welcome, a stark contrast from Lucita's behaviour, but she had no wish to make a fool out of herself. She had no airs and allurements to make any such act look natural.

"Thank you for giving me your precious time," Ira gave Leiv a stiff smile.

The boy seemed to find her manner amusing and took her arm in his, unprompted. He used his tall body to protect them from the rush of evening shoppers. All the individuals of the towers found this particular market place worth their while. The population could find both exotic meats from other kingdoms and mundane candles to light up their homes in the same venue.

"I'm rather surprised you asked me out. I suspect you do not like me at all," Leiv teased. His tone was loud enough to be heard over the din.

"Its too early for such assumptions. I barely know you," Ira explained, loftily. She had no wish to throw herself at the boy unlike her peers. Her dignity would not allow it.

"Do you even wish to know me?" The ash haired boy cocked his head with his trademark smile gracing his pleasant features.

"Perhaps," Ira replied, looking away abruptly.

"Well, you must like me enough if you invited me," The servant boy continued to be inquisitive.

"I thought it would be polite to give you a treat. I'm sure your friends have already given to tokens of appreciation," The braided girl said. She could only look at her feet in embarrassment.

"You are my first friend who even thought of doing so..." Leiv smiled, shyly warming Ira's heart.

Ira found herself smiling back and cleared her throat to conceal it beneath her hand. With a sudden jitter of nerves she ran a hand down her braids.

"Well, I've been taking a few extra chores here and there. I'm getting my due for the effort and I thought it would be kind to share. It's not like I have great big plans for my future with my coin," The girl tried to downplay her invitation.

"Well, I do. I've made a ridiculous amount of plans," Leiv replied with a strange tone of voice.

"On our paltry salaries?" Ira coughed. The ash was swirling in the air making it difficult to breath.