Chapter 3

Past

Ira massaged olive oil all over the rough ridges of the back of her hands. Her dry skin felt like it was cut into ribbons. Washing dishes in boiling hot water had not been a pleasant task. She vowed to never take a post banquet shift ever again.

As Ira headed back to her room she heard sounds in the servant's communal area. Ira wished to ignore the noises but the curiosity got the better of her. Due to the early shifts it was very rare for servants to congregate together in large numbers and she wondered what had caused them to plan something tonight.

The black haired girl peeked into the room through the half open doors. She could see many familiar faces ambling about between the tables laden with food. It seemed the servants were having a party. The noise from before was the doormen having a go at singing a newly famous song.

Ira's dark eyes made note of what each individual servant was doing but found her gaze attracted to the subject of her frequent thoughts.

Leiv was slouching against a wall having a lively discussion with three of the Ira's peers. His smile was carefree and wild and Ira was transfixed by the handsomeness.

Ira yanked her gaze away as soon as Leiv noticed her presence. Unfortunately his eyes caught hers as soon as Ira had made the decision to depart quietly.

"We've managed to use up the Royal leftovers for a little party of our own," Leiv called her over. He waved his hand at her urgently.

Ira took a tentative step forward unsure why she hadn't excused herself already. Her mother had been firm about keeping her on the straight and narrow and even after her death Ira intended to follow her wishes.

"She's wound up tighter than a Jack in the box. You're going no further with her," Lucita laughed with what she supposed was a witty suggestion. Ira's mother would have been appalled by Lucita's manners but her time was long gone. Propriety was a corpse that had been buried along with her mother.

Ira froze at the vulgar words hurled at her and pivoted around before the company could see her face crumble. She had no wish to make a fool out of herself especially in front of him.

"Hey, I checked on with the matron. You took up the another unscheduled shift," Leiv's soft words were close behind her. Ira paused as his hand landed on her shoulder. She shrugged him off finding his touch inexplicably scorching hot.

"I had nothing better to do. A little extra in my coffers isn't a bad thing," Ira cleared her throat. She spun around slowly with a blank expression on her face. She noticed Leiv's movements were loose and languid. He was foxed to the brim and he had another glass cradled in his palms.

"We could have explored the secret tunnels in the bottom floors of the palace," The boy suggested with a tilt of his head. His ash hair moved along with his action, gently cascading it all over his face. Ira concealed her instinct to tuck his hair behind the pale shell of his ear.

"Those floors are empty. I've told you before it's a waste of your time," The girl bit out with bubbling frustration. They had been on far too many excursions all over the palace and her companion was still not content.

"You know the palace better then anyone in this room," Leiv grinned, "Why would I let you go?"

"Fine, feed me something special tonight. I shall see if I can make time for you," Ira's bitten lips twitched as a smile nearly escaped before it was caught by its owner.

"I've heard the frog legs are tasty," The boy jested.

Ira made a face indicating what she thought of his suggestion, "You're cheating. Bring me something edible, please!"