Chapter 18

The reminder of Regina's regal behaviour suddenly makes her eyes sink into a solemn facial expression.
"Is that what you were talking about when you told me you did bad things?" You ask softly, bending slightly to try to meet her eyes.
She squeezes them shut for a moment and exhales heavily.
"I did such awful things."
You debate between embracing her or pushing for more information. Frozen in place, your curiosity gets the best of you.
"What did you do?"
She finally meets your eyes and you see her bite her lip in an attempt to keep her emotions at bay. You peer into her eyes softly in attempt to encourage her and see her doubt flash behind her eyes.
"I killed people." She lets out, almost in relief, as if she's been holding it in for years. "I murdered thousands of innocent people. I just wanted revenge and the power that came from it was the only thing that made me feel."
You stand in silence, watching the brunette silently punish herself for her past mistakes.
You step forward and it catches her attention instantly, your eyes meeting and breathing hitching at the intimacy of the exchange.
"You're better than your past. I'm not going to tell you that it was okay, because you will never be able to take it back. But Regina, I see so much more than a woman who's defined by her mistakes. The world made your darkness, just as a new world could make your happiness. Learn to celebrate the fact that you're trying to be better each day."
"You really are your mother's daughter, aren't you? You can honesty look past the Evil Queen?" She seems taken aback.
"You're Regina and a mother before you're the Evil Queen. And anyone who can raise a kid like Henry isn't Evil. You're doing the right thing."
"Henry is the one thing that keeps me going." She exhales heavily as she speaks.
"He's really special, Regina." You meet her eyes and smile kindly. "You've done a really great job."
"He's all I have." Her eyebrows knit together with emotion and you both just gaze at each other for a moment. She shuffles a little as she sniffles, moving closer to you. "I am sorry; Ivy. I really am. I was terrified of you shutting me out when you found out about my past. I tried to avoid telling you but I knew it would only get worse and you would resent me once you found out the truth. It's why I'm alone. It's why, even Henry, sometimes, doesn't think I love him. I may seem like this strong woman but my heart is so fragile. I had to put it back together all my life until I let the darkness in. It was how I coped. How I suppressed my aching heart and longing to be loved. This darkness is- was, all I had to protect me. I knew I couldn't let those walls down just for you to leave. And I won't blame you if you do. I have Henry and he keeps me afloat. But I just wanted to say that I am so sorry." She lets her tears fall and you can't help but hold this breaking woman in your arms.
You embrace her tightly and she curls into your chest slightly, you lightly stroke her hair before she pulls away, pulling herself together again.
"Regina, none of that changes anything. You've been through things most people couldn't imagine. You should be proud of yourself for being strong enough to get you here today."
"Thank you." She whispers as you both rise from the log and make your way back to camp.

Everyone is sat around, oblivious to the information you now know. Except for Regina, of course, who is keeping her eye on you.
"I know." You firmly state.
"Know what, sweetheart?" MM frowns slightly, still smiling.
"Regina told me everything."
The camp goes silent and they all turn to Regina, who only rolls her eyes at them.
"What? Did you really think we could all sit in this magical rainforest and play happy families?" She quips with an annoyance.
Emma rises from her seat.
"Well, no- but we kinda hoped we could break the news to you a little softer than this."
"Oh, great!" You sarcastically retort. "So how softly were you planning on breaking the news that we're all fairytale characters trapped in a curse, Emma!?!" You raise your volume but no one protests you.
"I get that you're angry." She approaches you slowly.
"Angry? Are you kidding me! Don't you think that's some information you should have told me... I don't know- as soon as you found out?!"
"We would have, sweetheart. But we didn't think you'd believe us." MM rushes over, attempting to smooth over the argument.
"Well maybe if you had we wouldn't be in this stupid Forrest in the first place!" You can't calm down right now.
There's too much to be pissed about.
"Wait, you really had no idea?" Killian chuckles as he butts in, rising from his seat.
You glare at him so hard he immediately sits back down.
"We were only trying to keep you safe." David softly adds as he fondly puts his hands on your shoulders, calming you down slightly.
"I just can't believe this is real life..." you mutter, almost to yourself. "I was just in college and now I'm stranded on an island with a bunch of fairytale characters."
"Hey, in our defence, the fairytale movies came after we did." Killian defends, butting in once more. "I never did like how they made me look in that cartoon."