Chapter One-Fascination

Hi! Welcome everyone who stumbles on this newly constructed project! This is not my first time participating in the ONC contest, and definitely not my last. But this is my first time writing a historical fiction based off the Highlanders and Clans, etc. 

Everything in this story is fictional and from my imagination, (except the names) I had to really get into the background of Highlands, that is who are they and where they come from. Names are fictionalized, but in accordance to some actual facts. 

But besides that, this story is original and came straight from the heart.

@All rights reserved. 

This book should not be copied or plagiarized. If anyone finds this book on any other site, please let me know. Do have a wonderful read.

KimAmai

----------

The sun was high up in the sky. Its sunrays, shining over the swaying flowers in the meadow was melodious. Galloping wild horses with loud neighing enveloped the air, and Gazelle's peacefully grazed on the land. Wild goats basked in the glory of the sun. Tiny animals, like rabbits and meerkats, and ground-squirrels populated the ground.

It was a populous area where nonviolent animals ventured on. With butterflies, birds, and insects, the meadow was open and populous. Four small children wearing their clan colors were enjoying the refreshing atmosphere and wonderful day.

Though, they were not alone.

Four tall and muscular men standing underneath a large tree was a short distance away. They were monitoring and bodyguarding them. Like the hawks and eagle soaring in the sky, the men's eyes were sharp.

In a sheath around their waist were the men's swords. That indicated they were ready for any attack against the children.

There were also other people tending to their gardens a little away from them. That indicated the children were not far from the nearest village. The smiles on the people's faces radiating as they looked upon the playing children.

The children shuffled in the tall grass as they mimicked their papas in the battlegrounds with wooden swords in their hands. Swish and swashing sounds with their mouths every time they brought down their wooden weapon, they enjoyed the thrilling game. A small girl of six summers lifted her tiny wooden sword into the air and blocked the taller boy of nine summers attacks.
Her red pigtailed hair bounced whichever way when she jumped from side-to-side, the way she would see her papa do it. 

"Nae fair, Ara!"

The taller boy whined when he missed the little girl again, but she stuck her tongue out. It was two against one--two tall boys against the short girl, but she was defeating them with her small size.

A girl of eight summers who was searching through the grass bellowed.

"I got it!"

They quickly dropped their wooden swords and raced towards her.

"Really?! Wow!"

The girl of six summers, Ara exclaimed.Nodding, the girl pulled the animal fighting to escape from her hands out of its little borrow.

"It is so cute!"

Gushed Ara. She gently touched its head with shining innocent eyes. Suddenly, the boy of nine summers took the animal from the girl's hands.

"Give it back!"

She cried while standing from her crouched position.

"Nae. Mama would be happy to cook it for us."

With a teasing smirk, the boy began to walk away. She hastily followed, as well as the other tallboy.

"Nae! Give it back, Lachlan! Give it!"

Crying out behind them, Ara also stood and followed behind her sister.

"Nae, Nae!"

Shouting, Lachlan began to run with the other boy near him. Soon, the children were running out of the meadow, the men quickly following behind. As the noise slowly receded as their persons began to disappear, men dressed in camouflaged clothes made themselves known behind two large intertwined together tree stump.

With crooked smiles that showed too many lost teeth, the men were thrilled. It was a fine place they stumbled on by chance. The people, scenery, life, everything was rich with abundance.

"What maketh of this place, ey, Pete?"

One drawled, his Gaelic accent swallowing his words.

"Look fine as wine. Like gold."

"Should we tell the chief?"

"And not risk our heads? We have a month to decide."

"'Course, we do. Let us go."

Sharply nodding with a smirk on his lips, the lanky looking man inclined his head in the direction where their tied horses trotted. For one month, the two men traveled through the harsh terrain with the beautiful place they had seen on their minds.They had gone as far as envisioning themselves leaving there, enjoying the thrill of the hunt, wine, and peaceful livelihood.

With no other thought on their mind, they had agreed to speak of this finding to their Chief. Racing through the flat plains nearing their home clan, the MacFarlane clan, the men were tired and hungry, but the message they had to bring was more important than gold.Huffing and puffing and pushing their newly bought horses since the other two had died from over-exertion, the men looked as if they were flying, the townspeople amazed by their speed.

"Get out the way!"

One barked for a cart was being pushed across the road at that instance. The man with two other bystanders helped bring it to the other side. Leaping their horses over unnecessary things, they rode hard and fast towards the keep while screaming for people to keep off the roads.
Children were roughly ushered off the road by their tearful and crying mama's.

The horse hoof from the lanky looking man almost crushed an infant naughtily moving away from his mama, but the men did not care. Why should they? In the MacFarlane, not even the Clan Chief himself cared for his people. Abusing his wealth and power was his detriment. His greed was insatiable.

The mother was in hysterics. She was lucky a man with fainted heart had managed to save the child but receiving a few scratches in the infant's stead. The men continued racing through the streets and ignoring the damage they caused. Soon, they had arrived at the opened gates of the keep. Bringing their horses to a firm halt, they climbed down and raced through it, their brisk walk turning heads as they passed through the unkempt and decapitating fortress.

"Where is the chief?"

The lanky man asked one of the guards, and he pointed in a familiar direction. Without acknowledging the man, the two men continued to the banquet hall, where the chief spent most of his time and money. As soon as they reached in front of the wooden door, they flew it open.

"WE HAVE BROUGHT EXCELLENT NEWS, SIRE!"

Bellowing, they fell onto the floor on one knee since the chief had made himself a king over his underlines. Not bothered by the noise, the chief continued to sip on his goblet of wine with a faraway look in his eyes. He hummed.