Chapter 27

"Perci!"

She ignored Iknaya's fed up calls and continued running down the street towards the barracks. Abaddon had sent her a message of their arrival and a cryptic tidbit about her demonsword producing some unexpected results. Since he'd also told her that they were bringing back some prisoners, her curiosity was overwhelming her.

Perci had the mind to slow down to a fast walk just before rounding the corner to the barracks building. It wouldn't do for the many legionnaires that were milling around the entrance to see their Queen in a mad state. Iknaya promptly skidded to a stop in front of the door to stop her in her tracks.

"Can we please just exercise some caution." She sidestepped Perci's attempt to get around her blockade.

"Lucan and Abaddon are here, I'll be fine." She reminded Iknaya.

"They don't-" Her bodyguard started to argue, but the door opening behind her and the sight of Lucan cut her off.

"It's alright, Iknaya, you're dismissed." He sighed, seeing his soulmate's determined expression.

"If it's okay, my King. I'll wait outside." Iknaya said with her head bowed.

"That's acceptable."

Perci looked between them exasperated.

"Will you both please calm the heck down. Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean you need to freak out every time I leave the main residence."

Perci decided to ignore the snort that escaped Iknaya's mouth and marched into the barracks with Lucan hot on her heels. With a hand at her back, he directed her to the furthest section of the building that was cordoned off and guarded by dozens of legionnaires.

"Isn't this a little excessive?" She looked at the armed-to-the-teeth soldiers and back to her mate.

"It's necessary." The legionnaires stepped to the side for them both to proceed through the high archway.

"What happened?"

"I think it's best I show instead of tell."

They turned another corner to find Abaddon looking through a dark-tinted window with a frown on his face. When they joined him, Perci gave him a smile but the instant her eyes landed on the contents of the room the window looked onto, it fell.

"What the fuck?" She breathed. Inside, seven white pearlescent demons sat or paced the small lounge. At least a few of them looked frightened and most of them appeared enthralled in their appearances.

"Someone please explain what I'm looking at." She said quietly.

"The demonswords you imbued, turn seraph into demons." Her mouth opened and closed like a fish in disbelief. "What you see are seven newly turned demons who've vowed their allegiance to Lucan and yourself."

She took a moment to let that sink in and cleared her suddenly dry throat.

"We can't treat them like prisoners." Perci looked up at her mate. "That's exactly what Michael would do if he'd even let them live."

"We can't trust them. Not yet."

"You won't ever trust them, it's not in your nature." She scoffed. "Just look at them, they're scared and confused. You can't tell me this is how you intend to keep them forever?"

"Just because they've taken vows of fealty doesn't mean they are on our side." Lucan gritted out. "I won't risk you or our people over seven demon-turned-seraph."

"Those demon-turned-seraph are here because of me." She pointed to her chest angrily. "My power made them, this should be my decision."

"Not whilst you are pregnant with my child." He growled back. "We still have no idea what abilities or strengths these demons have and I won't let you risk yourself."