Chapter 5

The forest grew thicker with every turn she made, until she was frantically batting large bushes to the side and scratching her way through. The superficial injuries didn't stop her from moving, knowing that it was only a matter of time until the seraph caught up with her. She wouldn't be getting a miraculous rescue this time, if they caught her, she was dead. It was the idea of Lucan finding her corpse that made an extra burst of energy fuel the next few minutes of running.

The sound of thumping footfalls nearing sent panic shooting down her spine and before she could stop herself her foot slipped sideways. Heart racing and eyes wide, Perci grabbed onto whatever flimsy branch she could on her downward journey, but it didn't stop her body from plunging completely down the sharp incline. With no time to think, she dug her hands into the dirt and rocks, whimpering when she felt her nails tear away and sharp objects pierce her side. Crying out sharply when her head hit a rock, she soon came to a stop in a heap of pain.

The sound of shouting and metal clashing kept her from giving into unconsciousness. By sheer force of will , she opened her eyes and staggered to her feet only to find herself at the edge of a war zone. Just beyond a layer of trees and undergrowth, seraph and demons battled with dizzying speed. Soldiers from both factions were leaping from tree and rock, slashing and stabbing at every opportunity.

A sharp flare of pain made her glance down at her side. When her hand came away covered in blood, she sought out a demon to help her, but everything was carnage. Worryingly, the seraph were being herded by the demons to her position and unless she got someone's attention, she was going to find herself in an even more precarious situation. As she risked stepping forward so she was only just visible in the bushes, a sharp blade pressed against her neck.

"Stand still or I'll cut your head off." A gruff voice spat in her ear. Fear kept her quiet, even though she knew he would still kill her anyway.

She was forced to watch as slowly the fighting stopped when members from both sides realised who she was and what was happening. She knew absolutely no one on the battlefield yet she was sure that the legion would lay down their lives to save her just by the look of utter rage on their faces. A tall beautiful woman whose demonic grey skin was streaked with blood strode out to the front of the gathered demons. Perci cast scared eyes at her and struggled to stay on her tiptoes, away from the knife.

"Move, and I'll kill her." The seraph said behind her. The demons growled almost simultaneously.

"You do that at your own peril." The female who could only be Lillith said, her teeth bared.

Before her captor could retort, an almighty roar shook the ground and trees. The sound was deafening and the seraph cast uneasy looks to each other. The demons however, merely grinned with bloodthirst.

"You won't survive him." Lillith promised the seraph holding Perci captive.

The sound of destruction coming closer backed her words and even at knifepoint, Perci felt a ridiculous stab of fear not directed at the seraph, but at Lucan. What kind of power did her soulmate wield that caused the ground to shake and immortals quake in terror?

"I am not afraid of your master." Her captor spat, obviously feeling the opposite.

The knife pressed closer to her throat and she felt a line of fire followed by a trickle of blood slide down her neck into her top. Behind the waves of legion Perci could finally see trees shaking and being torn apart as if a hurricane were approaching. Her heart leapt in fearful joy as well as misery, because she knew that her soulmate was going to be too late.

"This is worth dying for."

The widening of Lillith's eyes was the only terrifying split second of warning that Perci got before the knife disappeared from her neck and plunged into her back. Before she could even take a breath to scream, the knife plunged once more into her side. And just like that the weight behind her disappeared as she fell into a heap on the floor.