Chapter 8

Perci watched as yet another soul approached the dais from her position high above the crowd of would-be demons. She sat perched on the uneven rocks of the upper ledge that surrounded the large cavern, a short ways from the room Kronan had given her.

For the past few days she'd fallen into a semi-comfortable rhythm. She would read the history texts in her room, sit enthralled with memories of Lucan from Cerberus, chat to Kronan when he wasn't busy in the Citadel and then sit in this spot watching soul after soul perish in violent spasms. Her routine was one that gave her too much time to contemplate her future and the fact she couldn't sleep or eat or drink really wasn't helping her cope.

She winced as the soul disappeared with a scream and she set down her book about the construction of the Citadel with a sigh. It was easier to think of the multitude of lives waiting in the cavern as souls and not the people they were. Otherwise, she was afraid she'd break under the strain of heartache she could always feel in the background. It was why she hadn't spent any time mingling with non-demons.

"Perci?" Kronan called for her.

Perci turned to see the Minotaur coming towards her with a rigid hurriedness that was out of character. She frowned and climbed down from her perch just as a golden-haired adonis turned the corner and joined them.

"You call our Queen by her first name? Perhaps you've become complacent in your appointment as overseer of the Citadel." The stranger's lips turned with a sneer.

"Your Queen actually asked the overseer of the Citadel to call her by her first name." Perci cut in before Kronan could defend himself, and feeling a little protective over her large Minotaur friend she didn't hesitate to snap, "Who the hell are you?"

"I simply must meet the woman who put the mighty Grigori in his place." Perci heard a low voice chuckle.

Seconds later, four more devastatingly handsome demons joined their group and she couldn't help but feel impossibly small and feminine surrounded by so much testosterone.

"Perci, may I introduce Lord Grigori, Lord Sithral, Lord Adran, Lord Mekaziel and Lord Davros."

Kronan gestured to each demon in turn. First to the rude twat who'd made a bad impression already, second to a long-haired man who looked like he belonged on a eighties romance novel, third to a leanly muscled red-head, then to a man who looked a great imitation of a battle-hardened viking and finally a bald man who had a vicious scar slicing across his face. All five men oozed alpha-male pheromones and she wasn't sure she was in the right headspace to deal with them.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all." She said automatically, hoping it sounded sincere. At Lord Sithral's sparkling eyes, she presumed not.

"I was just telling the Lords that you aren't presently taking official meetings-" Kronan began, sounding aggravated.

"It's okay Kronan, thank you." Perci could imagine how frustrating it must be to have five more powerful leaders trying to dictate things on his turf. "Is there somewhere more appropriate we can talk?"

"Yes, of course. Follow me." Kronan smiled at her encouragingly and her heartrate calmed somewhat. She had no blooming clue how to act or what to say and she had an inkling that the Lords weren't going to be as easy as Kronan to win over.

With Kronan at the fore and the Lords at her back, Perci allowed the demons to escort her to a larger cave that had a conference-type table in it surrounded by candles. Once she'd taken a seat, everyone but Lord Adran followed suit, who gathered five goblets and a decanter of wine from a nearby table. Since she couldn't partake, he only placed them in front of his fellow Lords.