Chapter 2: The Reaping

At about six in the morning, I woke up and decided I was going to have some fun. I had already made plans with all of my friends to go to the Hob and eat Strawberries and Soup. I went outside and decided that I would feed my cat Buttercup and milk my goat, Lady. When I went outside I got Buttercup some catnip and milked Lady. Once I was done with that I went to my room and changed into a plaid shirt, some jeans with white flower patches, and my black knee-length boots, then put my hair in two french braids. As I was heading down to the Hob I looked at a banner that said " Happy Hunger Games!!!" in bright colors of orange and green. I HATE the capitol for doing this to kids and I HATE that they make this seem like it's the best time of the year. It's not like they care about who dies or anything. Once I get to the Hob I see Cooper is already there with Addie, Paige, Addiana, Blake, Coby, Ethan, Kaylee, and Addiana's little sister Aliceann. Cooper and Aliceann like each other and don't want one another to get hurt. And I liked Coby, but I don't think he likes me. Well, at least we are friends. I took one good look at my friends and realized that they meant so much more to me than I realized.

" Well, are you gonna sit down? We are hungry," says Blake.

" Blake, knock it off. She is nervous just like us." Addie says. Blake just grunts and turns around on his chair

" Uhm Blake, you do realize that you are the only one that is freaking out about this, right? Everyone else is as pale as a ghost and you have rosy red cheeks," says Addiana.

" Yeah, that's because I think that I can win," Blake says.

" Yeah, well I think you would die in the bloodbath. You are so short that you probably wouldn't make it off of your pedestal in time, some big guy would squish you and not even notice." I say.

" CAN WE JUST EAT???" Blake asks with a voice crack.

When I sit down and order my strawberries and soup I just stare at it and start getting that nauseous feeling again. Then I ask the question that I have been wanting to ask all day.

" What if one of us gets reaped into the games?" I ask. I can feel my eyes start to burn with tears at the thought of it. Then I waited for an answer.

" I think that we would try our hardest to win. And if we didn't then I think some people would be sad but also proud of us for having the courage to murder people." Coby says. I think about what he just said and nod my head. When I finally take a bite of a strawberry there is a really loud humming sound and a huge ship lands. I realize it's the peacekeepers and I realize it's almost time for the reaping.

" Wear something nice guys," I say and then I grab Cooper and we start running back to our house.

When we get back to the house I go into the bathroom and turn on some warm water for my bath. I get in and wash my body, face, and hair and then wrap myself in a towel. When I get out of the bathroom my mother has set a dress on my bed. It's green with different flowers. I put it on and then go out to the sitting room and my mother does my hair in two french braids.

When she is done doing my hair she kisses me on the head and sits down with Cooper on the couch where the reaping will be going live. I start walking to the reaping and I see the sign-in station. THEY ARE USING NEEDLES? I moved forward to get in line and they pricked my finger. It didn't hurt much but STILL, NEEDLES. When they signed me in I went over to my friends on the girl's side in the twelve-year-old group.

After waiting for what seemed like an hour of anticipation the doors finally open and outcomes...President Snow? What is he doing here? He walks up to the microphone and starts his announcement.

" Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the reaping for the 94th annual Hunger Games! This year we have made a little adjustment. This year the only district competing for the Hunger Games is this district. But to make it action-packed we are making all of the ages from 6-18 compete in the Hunger Games. This is mandatory. Thank You. And may the Odds be Ever in your Favor."

When he finishes his announcement my face turns pale and my stomach churns. I look around the crowd and I see everyone else is just as pale. Blake passed out and I think Addiana was about to laugh. Like five of my friends have already barfed.

We were all going in. And we were not even reaped.