6

After she changed, Raye stuck a small knife into the pocket in the band of her skirt. Another two went into her boots.
She finished lacing them up just as Tristan came back.

"I think I did this wrong."
Raye looked up and covered her mouth to hide her laugh.
He was wearing the trousers and the tunic, but had the jacket inside out and twisted around the back.
She caught the withering glance he sent. "I'm not even gonna ask."

"Who are you?"
Raye spun, ready to reach for her knife. In their path stood a girl with her bow at the ready, an arrow nocked.
Tristan stepped forward, clearing his throat. "I am Prince-"
"I know who you are." The girls’ voice was cold as she glared at Raye. "Who are you?"
Raye dropped her arms. "I'm escorting the prince."
The girl lowered her arrow slightly. "There are no dangers in this forest, beside us." Her frown deepened. "You may go."
"She's with me." Tristan crossed his arms, daring the girl to say anything more.
She glanced at the sword by his side and lowered her bow completely. "Very well."
A strange animal call sounded in the distance. "I must go." The girl turned. "Do not stray from the path." She left, her dark skin and hair blending with the patterns the sun created with the leaves.
Raye made sure no one else was around, then started walking again. "I sure hope you can use that sword."
Tristan snorted. "Would I have brought it if I couldn't?"
"Maybe."

Raye hadn't known what to expect, but somehow the Earth Union palace was just as she expected.
Large tree trunks made pillars on the raised bamboo deck, supporting the high gabled plank roof. The doors were made of thick teakwood, carved in symbols Raye was sure must mean something, but only looked like scribbles to her.

Two guards that resembled the girl in the forest stepped forward when Raye and Tristan approached, crossing their spears in front of the door. "Your Majesty?"

A woman stepped out. She had dark skin like the rest, but her hair was bright red. "Ah, Prince Tristan."
He stepped forward, nodding his head. "Queen Addra."
"Why have you come?" The queen's gaze was cold, even as she let them step into what must be the throne room.
Tristan folded his hands. "Perhaps this discussion will be better over food?"
The queen inclined her head. "Perhaps."
She clapped her hands, and Raye stepped into the corner to keep out of the way.

Watching the various servants scurry around, preparing a table and chairs, Raye didn't notice the girl at her side until she touched her arm.
"Come with me."
Raye nodded, thankful. She got along fine with Tristan normally, but this was a whole side of him she'd never seen.
Not that she was in a position to see all the sides of him.
He would go in and leave her, going back to royal duties as though Raye had never existed.
And she was okay with that.
At least, that's what she was telling herself.