chapter eleven

monday, april 27, 2020
22 weeks

"hello, you two!"
it was a brand new doctor giving maia a checkup that day. "read to see if we can find the gender today?"
maia nodded happily, gently cupping her stomach. chase sat next to her as she laid on the bed.
she knew they needed to have a serious talk about their relationship, but she'd barely seen him for the past two weeks. she knew he was leaving next monday for his job and she still felt completely abandoned. she was seeing a brand new side of chase that she'd never seen before, and she didn't like it.
"alright, the heartbeat is healthy and strong...and congrats, you two! it looks like you'll be having a little baby boy!"
maia gasps, hands flying to her mouth.
"oh, wow," she smiled tearfully; chase seemed to be in complete shock, mouth agape as he stared blankly at the screen.
the rest of the appointment flew by; they were given ultrasounds before they left.
"i guess you and nia were right," she told him with a small smile as he drove them home.
"mai, i'm sorry i've been so cold towards you," he said suddenly. "i-finding out the gender made it a lot more realistic, and i understand that the way i've been acting is stressing both you and our boy. which is not okay."
maia immediately started tearing up. "how is this gonna work?" she asked him. "you'll be states away. what if i go into early labor? what if you can't get here in time? and even if you do, you'll miss so much. and i'd leave, but-nia is like my sister, i don't want to leave her. and i don't want to go to a brand new state with a brand new baby."
chase sighed. "that's what i was hoping you'd do. come stay with me. but i know that's selfish."
"maybe once he turns one," she suggested. "and i graduate. i'll just miss nia so much, though. and i'm a bit nervous about moving to a whole new city with a toddler."
"we'll make it work," he promised. "i love you. both of you."