chapter five

march 6

"you know that new disease? covid-19?" nia asked her as they walked to maia's car.
"yeah, what's up?"
"someone said they heard the teachers might give us another spring break because of it," she told her.
"i wish," maia snorted. "i'm so tired of school, i want summer to get here so i can have some fun."
then she was reminded of what her summer would actually be like; a swollen stomach, feeling sick and bloated 24/7, and, eventually, a baby.
nia noticed her mood change and changed the subject as she got in the driver's seat; maia didn't feel like driving. "it's probably just wistful thinking. you want me to invite chase over so you two can talk?"
maia shook her head. "he's on a fishing trip till tomorrow."
"ohh."
"mai, you need to tell your family what's up," nia told her. "you can't even be happy because you're so worried. you'll probably feel better after you tell them." maia was quiet, deep in thought. she suddenly pulled out her phone, shooting a quick message to chase.
i wanna tell haley
we might as well start telling everyone
"you'll feel better," nia repeated. "i promise."
a few hours later, her phone finally buzzed with a response from chase.
sorry
i just got reception
maybe we can tell her together
like at school?
that sounds good, maia answered. then, feeling guilty for ruining his vacation, she quickly added, don't stress over it. love you <3
"it'll be fine," nia reassured. "i promise. your parents are strict, but not strict enough to kick you out."
maia was silent, hoping she was right.