Carol Of The Bells

The piano was wheeled out on stage for me. I couldn't bring myself to look at the crowd as I slowly shuffled towards it. One foot in front of the other, carefully placing each step. Just pretend they're not there, that I'm at home, playing the piano in the lounge. No one is listening, except Grandad, of course. I took a seat and lifted the lid. Deep breath, Sam. You can do this.

My hands had a slight tremor as I hovered over the keys. Another deep breath, calm my nerves, and begin...

My fingers found the correct keys as I stared at the sheet music. And yet, I found I didn't really need it. My hand was moving automatically, already on the next note before my gaze had found it on the page. My piano teacher always said I had a gift for memorising sheet music. I guess I still do. I was like Sherlock in that way, we had amazing memories for useless knowledge. Sometimes that knowledge came in handy, it made us look smart in certain situations. I just wasn't as quick as Sherlock when it came to remembering things.

Sheet music on the other hand was a different game. This was my area of expertise. So long as I remember the first few notes, I can keep up the rhythm. It comes naturally to me, like singing a song you haven't heard in years, yet, surprisingly still remember all the words. Does that make me special? Clever? Was I a musical genius? Now that would be boasting. No one likes a showoff. I'm sure with enough practise, anyone can do anything. Even this.

I was about halfway through Carol of the Bells when I realised how bored I was. My mind had begun to wander, I was absentmindedly playing. I didn't want to risk a glance at the crowd, what if they were bored too? I should have realised my mistake sooner, that I'd never win the voucher for Grandma playing Carol of the bloody Bells. Sure, it was festive, but maybe not everybody knew it, maybe some didn't even like it. But I'll tell you one thing they do love - Christmas songs. And my competition had just played Last Christmas on the violin. I was beginning to wish I hadn't told her to rebel.

I needed a plan, and I needed one fast.

When the opportunity arose I switched mid-performance from playing Carol of the Bells to Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies. I was reminded of a time, just last year in fact, when the ballet company was planning to do the Nutcracker. We were all so excited to audition. But then my secret grandfather was assassinated at the theatre and all productions were cancelled.

Was that really just last year? It feels so long ago now. To think how sad and angry I was back then when I found out about my secret family. Now I'm used to it. I'm used to surprises and shocking twists. I've grown used to everything odd about my life, and all the crazy people in it. All I want for Christmas this year is a bit of calm, some normality. Is that too much to ask for?

All I Want For Christmas... my piano teacher liked that one. She taught me how to play it many, many years ago. Did I still remember it? Would it fit into the medley somehow? Perhaps if I skipped the intro and jumped straight to the chorus. If only the crowd knew as they watched me perform I was actually multitasking. Playing one song while also mentally going through the notes of another.

Ah haha! Got it! I've got it!

I made the switch, earning a small gasp and applause. The crowd liked this one, it seemed. I took a risk and glanced at the audience. Grandma and Grandad were in the front row, proud smiles on their faces. I wasn't sure what Grandma's favourite Christmas song was, but I knew Grandad's - Fairytale Of New York. I played it for him only yesterday, I'm sure I still remember the notes...

There was louder applause for that one, a firm favourite among the crowd. I'm sure I even heard some singing. And the bells were ringing out for Christmas day. Grandad's smile only widened. Beside him, I noticed, was Finn, and suddenly I was reminded of another Christmas song. I switched again and played for him. I'm driving home for Christmas. Oh, I can't wait to see those faces.