Make A Vow

I couldn't take my eyes off the painting. How strange it was that something so significant should be here. What did it mean? Was it a trick? There was no way he knew or remembered the boy who had gotten me sunflowers.

I was staring for too long, because now he had noticed and followed my line of sight. Surprisingly, he made no remark, he simply let me look. I had to admit, this side of him made a nice change. He was different, more laid back, as though somehow he knew no matter what everything would go his way. Maybe it was all an illusion. The dream house and the vows and a life together was not real, how could it be? Perhaps he was setting me up for a fall, my greatest one yet.

We were up very high, and the room had a balcony. A fall from this height would kill me. And no one need ever know it wasn't a suicide...

Sherlock would know, and Mycroft, and John. They know me better than anyone. They'd know I would never do it.

But then again, they probably wouldn't expect me to choose a life with Moriarty over them. Well, they might understand if they knew what I was doing it for.

For them.

Prepared to do...

"Here we are," I said, echoing his words from earlier, "Back at the start. But why now? What's changed?" My eyes finally left the painting, meeting his gaze again. I needed to hold my nerve while asking questions which could get me in trouble. If I continued to be a broken record he might get bored. Correction, he would get bored. And well all know how unpredictable he can be when he is.

However, his reply was unexpected and left me questioning everything. "You did," he said.

"Me?"

He nodded slowly. "I told you I was bored. I needed a John Watson in my life."

"So I'm your John?"

"I wouldn't quite compare you two. You are smarter than he is. Now, I am growing rather bored of this conversation. Either your mind is made up or it isn't."

There was something gnawing at the back of my brain, something I was missing. This felt too good to be true. All an illusion...

"I told you my choice," I said.

"But you're backtracking."

"I'm just... confused." There had to be more to this, he had to be playing me. If I dug deep enough I'm sure I had all the pieces, I just couldn't figure out how to put them together. "It's a lot to take in. My life is going to change, forever. Am I even able to say goodbye to my family?"

He thought about it, his eyes looking me up and down. "If I'm feeling generous, I'll let you have a phone call."

"And tell them what? That I'm running away with you, they'll never believe it."

"They'll believe whatever you tell them." He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear, his hand lingering so his fingers grazed my cheek. "You don't need to mention my involvement."

"And they'll be safe? You'll give me your word and you won't go back on it?"

He placed his hand on his chest. "I give you my word."

You are going to be picked up and taken to a nice hotel where you can sit and watch the carnage unfold...

"You said yourself, you're changeable. How will I know you won't go back?"

He groaned, leaning back so he was staring up at the ceiling. "You are starting to sound like a broken record, Sammy."

"I just need to be certain. I'll never know if you've hurt them or not, I'll be far away with no contact, no way of knowing."