Friday The 13th

Friday the 13th, the last night of Swan Lake. Finally, it would soon be over. John was coming with his latest date, Jeanette. Mycroft promised he would be there, Sherlock said he had something better to do but I knew he'd be there. Perhaps Irene would come out of hiding to watch. Judging by what Moran said, she would be foolish if she did. Maybe he would show up as well. Maybe they all would. Him included.

I tried to put all thoughts of who might be in the audience out of my mind as I got ready. I had my music box with me, the one from my dad, the tiny dancer was spinning slowly in time to the music. I hummed along, carefully applying my makeup.

Amanda opened the door, I could watch her from the mirror. She was dressed in her swan costume, a sincere smile on her face. "We've come a long way," she said.

"Haven't we just."

"Are you nervous?"

"A little. Last show nerves."

Amanda approached slowly, placing her hand on my shoulder. "Let's bury the Swan Queen once and for all."

I smiled. It was bittersweet. Once Odette fell tonight, she wouldn't rise again for another show. This performance meant a lot to me.

"Good luck," I said to her.

"You too. All eyes on you, Sam."

All eyes on me...

Amanda left and I wound the music box again. I finished getting ready just in time for my 5-minute warning. I twirled in time to the tiny dancer, smiling. This is it. Last one.

I made my way to the stage, a slight spring in my step. I wished everyone luck and they wished me well in return. I was almost there when someone crashed into me. "Sorry," I said.

It was a woman, her head was covered by a shawl and she wore sunglasses. I didn't have to see her face, I knew it was her. My eyes widened. "You!"

She shushed me, pulling me to the side. "Please try not to give me away," she said.

"Maybe don't look so obvious then. Why are you here? What do you want?"

"I risked my own safety to come here to warn you."

Here we go. "Warn me? Oh, do tell, what is it now?"

"An assassin with a rifle entered the theatre this evening, perhaps to put a bullet through your heart when you make your swan dive off the cliff edge, that would be the perfect time to do it but I am just speculating."

My heart skipped a beat. "You what?"

"I just thought I'd tell you that, although I suppose with a theatre full of your friends and family I doubt he would get away. Might be that he never uses it at all, might be that it's not intended for you but a rifle, that's for a long-distance shot and who's furthest away than those on stage performing?"

"I swear to God if you are winding me up-"

"Why would I do that? Sammy, when have I ever lied to you?"

"No. No! I'm not listening to this. That's your problem, you know? All of you, you impose yourselves into my life, telling me to watch my back and not trust anyone. Well, I have had it! Tonight means far too much to me for you to come along and ruin it! Good day, Miss Adler." I marched away from her, seething with anger.

"Sam. Sam, wait!"

"Leave me alone!"

There wasn't much time, exactly 1 and a half minutes till I was due on. I raced back to my dressing room to retrieve my phone, sending a quick text to the person I trusted most, hoping that they could save me.