Freak

Despite my objection, I went back to school the next day. My mum had a job interview with a printing company, and didn't want to leave me in the house alone.

I don't blame her, as in the state I was in, there was no knowing what I would or could do. My mum tiptoed around me for the rest of the day I was off school, so as not to aggravate or upset me.

It felt like even I was tiptoeing around myself, around the topic that I couldn't bare to think about. As we both knew that the reason I was sick was nothing to do with being ill, it was best to send me in. Even though a part of me never wanted to face the mocking faces of my classmates ever again, I didn't want to miss my walk to school; my sliver of freedom.

And when I think of the old Brooke, I'm jealous of how much freedom she had, not just in school and at home, but in her head.

Her democratic brain was just what I needed right now, but sadly I kept under her rule. What to do, what not to do, even how to think. Despite how much I was looking forward to the walk to school, it was very disappointing, because as if in a cartoon, I had a cloud hanging over my head.

When I got into school, I refused to look anyone in the eye, especially Conner, and thankfully they didn't even seem to notice me coming in.

So I sat down at my desk and am currently sitting hunched over on my chair, attempting to cover my eyes with my shaggy hair. Miss Clarke suddenly came through the door and the room instantly fell quiet.

She sat down at her desk and set down her 'best teacher ever' mug into a coaster. It was as if she was saying; 'see! I am the best teacher ever.' I don't think that it was actually working. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see some people staring at me, and then more.

So I nudged the hair out of my eyes and glanced up to see Miss Clarke also looking at me with a mixture of pity and contempt.

"So, Miss Hopper," she said in an airy, slightly spiteful tone. "I see you are back to join us. Spreading your disgusting germs around. What bug have you got then." Her patronising tone, hit me harder than I expected. With as much rudeness and superiority I could muster, I replied.

"I haven't got a bug."

She leant back in her chair. "So what made you vomit all over my classroom floor, hmm? I think it would be greatly appreciated if you shared it with the class." There was a few sniggers and whispered comments, but I tried my hardest to block them out.

All the willpower I had just got from the old Brooke had vanished, and I was pathetic lonely Brooke once again. I didn't want to answer the question, and by the look on her face, she knew it.

"Allergies." I muttered. She raised her eyebrows, but didn't comment. I inwardly sighed in relief as she didn't press any further.

......

I had double psychology next. One of the rare lessons that I enjoyed, because I could see how the brain works, and make a sloppy attempt to find out how my brain works.

I am currently leaning against my locker, pulling out my psychology text books. My hands were still slightly sweaty from the close encounter with my form teacher. She really did hate me.

When I got my text books out, and shut my locker, I gave myself the opportunity to lean against the lockers and breath. Because the cold on my cheek was nothing compared to the freedom of the woods, but it was something, and right now I could do with anything.

As I look down the hall at all the students walking down, chatting with their friends, holding hands with their boyfriends and texting on their phones, my mind almost goes back to old Brooke thinking. Like how the pretty girl hanging with her friends was perfectly suited to the guy that was on the football team, or that the poor soul who had tried to customise her uniform really did not suit the colour orange.

I let my eyelids close for a second, just enjoying being able to think about the old me without crumbling to pieces.

But suddenly something banged down on the locker, inches from my face, and my eyes jumped open to see an arm that I unfortunately knew very well.

I whipped round to Conner's face centre metres from mine. He is very good looking, with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. Eyes in which I used to see loyalty and admiration, but all I can see now is hate and spite.

"I see you got my note." He smirked. I didn't want to speak so I just nodded my head slowly. He pulled back slightly and glanced at my uniform, my hair, my face. "Man. You really let yourself go." He shook his head, slowly, patronisingly, almost as if he was truly sorry.

"Get out of my f***ing way Connor." I whispered.

"What was that?" He said, cocking his head, as if he hadn't heard me.

"Let me get to class." I said, my voice sounding more confident and sure of itself. He just smirked and didn't budge. So I tried pushing his arm away, but that didn't budge either.

I looked around wildly, hoping, praying that someone would help me. But it seemed that everyone had gone to class, leaving the last few students either milling around or madly sprinting to class.

"You're so pathetic." He sneered. It stung. Really bad, but I tried as hard as I could not to show how much it had affected me.

"Says the most rotten creature to ever walk the earth!" I snarled, grateful for the flair that old Brooke had just given me.

The expression on his face instantly changed, and his eyes clouded over. I took the opportunity and pushed his arm away and tried to make a run for it. But a split second later, I felt a hand grab my shoulder and slam me into the lockers. Hard. So hard that I fell onto the floor, and was too dazed to move.

"Conner!" Another voice gasped. And then with a jolt I realised it was Michelle. She had been there the whole time, and she hadn't done a thing.

Well, screw her then.

She grabbed his arm, trying to hold him back. Although her strength was nothing compared to his, he seemed to calm down. "Let's go to class." She said softly.

His gaze flicked between me and her, but he seemed to take her advice. He glared at me, and then spat on my shoe.

"Freak."

With that they both walked down the corridor to their next class. Neither of them looked back. I was left alone in the corridor, in a pile on the floor. My shoulder ached, and I could feel the tears close to my eyes.

I got up, my knees wobbling and threatening to buckle beneath me. I managed to tremble my way to the toilets before the tears came. And I watched them in the mirror. Big, fat, ugly tears.

Because my shoulder hurt, because of who I used to be, because of the seemingly meaningless friendship I used to share with Michelle. Because of the grim realisation that I really was a freak.

And stupid, ugly, worthless Brooke looked back at me. And in that moment I truly hated myself.

But then I heard the scream.

So 100 reads on the last chapter! Hoping for the same for this one. If you like it, please vote and recommend! Also, check out the story 'body moving' by sophrach-the-monkey, my awesome joint account with the epic chips17!!! - devoncat1 😘