dont let me go

trigger warning: there's a panic attack described pretty heavily, so if that triggers you just skip ahead to the texts (they're pretty distinguishable)

***************

"Coral, you still with us?" Jordan's voice snaps Coral out of her daze. She does that a lot; zone out, that is.

"Hm? Oh, haha! Yeah, I'm here! Sorry," she smiles sheepishly, whilst the other three at the breakfast table snort and snicker over her antics.

"It's all good sweetheart, we were just talking about your show at school on Friday night. We're just so proud of you, darling!" Carl says, his hand reaching out to pat hers.

Jordan and Carl Sanders are her foster parents, whom she's been with for nearly three years, now—since she was twelve when she first came to their home. They're the best foster family she has ever had; they're loving, nurturing and caring. Not to mention, this is the only family she's met that she's ever actually wanted to call hers. Their foster son, Elliot, is a sweetheart, too!

He's a couple of years older than her and has been with Jordan and Carl for a year longer than her. He always helps her with her maths homework, which she just can't seem to understand, ever. When she first got here, he was probably her only lifeline, because he helped her—told her his experiences in foster care, and how this family was good. He helped her feel okay. So, to her, he's like a real brother.

The Sanders and Elliot, from the start, have been very supportive of Coral's music. They always tell her they're proud of her, and that she's their favourite singer/songwriter. She has to admit; it's really nice having people who genuinely care about her. And because of their encouragement and support, she agreed to sing at her school's annual talent show. She has never sung in front of a crowd before, so she's terrified—not to mention her anxiety rocketing into the sky...It's going to be okay.

She's going to be okay.

—or at least, she hopes so.

"Cor?" Ah! Elliot waves his hand in front of her, a small smirk tugging at his lips.

She sends him a glare in return and ruffles his blond hair, earning herself a scowl. She sticks her tongue out at him.

"What time's the show again? I'd like to get there at least twenty minutes early to get the front row seats," Carl breaks them out of their silent fight.

"I really don't think you guys need to do that..." she quirks an eyebrow.

"Nonsense! We will take whatever measures necessary to watch from the front seats," Jordan says, pushing his chair back to get up and put his plate in the sink.

Out of her peripheral vision, Coral sees Elliot mouth the exact words their dad said, but in a mocking manner. She chortles as he blushes sheepishly at the realisation of being caught.

"Well, I guess that's that. Dads, we'll see you two at dinner," she announces, standing up and straightening her tie. "Come on, El! Ms. Landon will personally volunteer to throw me off a roof if I'm late!"

He stuffs his face with a huge piece of toast, standing up, as she tugs on his wrist with one hand securing her backpack to her other shoulder. "Coming!"

~~~

Coral is terrified, to say the least. It's the night of her show and she's ready—well physically, she is.