47. Letters from Home

MacCready practically launched himself from the couch at Daisy, who was holding out a battered envelope. She braced herself for impact, but the young sniper stopped short, the excitement of a kid at Christmas radiating from every inch of his spare form. Daisy rasped a low laugh, handing him the letter, "A courier just came in, and I asked KL-E-0 to watch the shopfront for a moment so I could bring this to you without delay." She exclaimed in surprise when she was suddenly picked up in the giddy twirl of a hug.

"Thanks, Daisy, you're the absolute best!"

"Anytime, MacCready. Though," and she went thoughtful, "He mentioned that the couple who gave it to him looked like they were all packed up?" She and my partner exchanged perplexed glances. "Maybe that's explained in the letter." This time, she gave me a significant look when his attention was taken by the envelope. It was a look that said, be there for him, just in case. I nodded and she relaxed. "All right, dear, I've done my good deed for the day. I'll be back at the shop if you need anything."

"Thanks again!" we chorused as my companion returned to sit next to me on the couch. The envelope was tattered and discolored with old stains, and quite thin. On the front were the words "MacCready, Goodneighbor, The Commonwealth" marked in hasty, uneven letters. There was no return address. Carefully, but as quickly as he could, he opened the envelope and unfolded the letter inside. A small additional scrap of paper fluttered out, and with amazing reflexes he caught it deftly, tucking it behind the main letter. I watched his eyes as they read the few words on the page, then re-read them again, and again. A joyously happy, love-struck smile crossed his face, and he dabbed at his cheeks which glistened with sudden tears. He handed me the letter, turning his curious attention to the small scrap of paper.

"Hi Daddy!

Pop-pop gave me that stuff you sent.

I'm all better now.

I love you, daddy!

Duncan"

The handwriting was that of a small child, but quite legible and extremely heartwarming to read. I had to dab at the moisture in my own eyes. But before I could hand the letter back, the small scrap of paper drifted down to land face up on top of Duncan's loving scrawl.

"It worked. Thanks.

Goodbye."

Incredulous, I looked up to meet the hooded expression of my partner. The smile had faded, and his blue eyes were shadowed with pain. "That's it?!" I demanded, furious. "That's all they had to say? You found the cure for your son! After all you went through, all you suffered? Four whole words?" My hands holding Duncan's letter shook, and I very carefully and deliberately folded it back up and tucked it into MacCready's front duster pocket, his haunted gaze following my every move.

His voice when he spoke was broken. "What the courier told Daisy? It makes sense now... they've moved. I don't know where. The cure worked, but I'll never see my son again." For only the second time in all the months we'd been together, MacCready wept. I held him close as he clutched at my shoulders, his face buried in the curve of my neck. "I was hoping... I had asked... in my letter... asked if I could come home... be a father to my son." He broke off with an agonized moan of grief. "I knew I couldn't go back... but I thought maybe... if the cure worked... I had hoped they'd let me see Duncan again. I miss him so much... Oh, my son..."

Slowly, I leaned back against the cushioned arm of the couch, cradling MacCready against me as he mourned the shattered hope to see his son, his only family, again. How cruel were his in-laws to have cut this poor man out of their lives so harshly, so thoroughly. He had risked life and limb coming back to the Commonwealth, knowing his old Gunner squad was not going to forgive his return. Trying to get the cure on his own nearly killed him, yet he persevered and finally succeeded with my help. And his in-laws still turned a blind eye to all of it, ignoring his successful promise to be a better person for his son. There was nothing much I could say, but I could offer my presence, my loving support. I brushed my fingers though his hair, gently stroking his temples as he wept, clinging to me with desperate strength. "I'm here, RJ, I've got you. Just let it all out, it's okay," I murmured over and over, a soothing refrain for his battered psyche.