Chapter 1

DISCLAIMER: this chapter picks up exactly where Roommates' epilogue ended. I would highly suggest giving it a quick read before diving into this (I'll add it as "Chapter 0" in the future).

____________________________

Gwen's POV

Four years.

Four years had passed since I had last seen him, his tall, skinny figure and his smile, that after all we had been through could still manage to make me blush. But this time, shock had taken over my body, the blood draining from my face instead of making my cheeks warm.

His hair was shorter; that was the first thing I noticed as soon as I had turned around and seen him standing in the middle of the room. I could lie and say I hadn't looked him up on the Internet in these past years, but the truth was I couldn't resist it. My curiosity had got the best of me, so his new hairstyle wasn't that big of a shocker for me. But still, seeing it in the flesh was different from the couple of times I had dared to type his band's name on my browser, and seen him through my computer's screen.

You could tell his style overall had matured a lot, too, as his typical ugly sweater and tie-dye t-shirt seemed to be replaced by a plain white shirt, and his classic black skinny jeans by some straight-legged ones, rolled at the bottom to show his socks. He was also wearing a bomber jacket, something he had never owned back in college, and a pair of high-top sneakers, giving him more of an 80s or indie look.

But what hadn't changed a bit was his face. Those loving, chestnut eyes still had that glimmer to them as they stared at me, and his lower lip was still a little bit fuller than his upper one, making me internally smile. His bone structure still amazed me like the first time I had ever seen him seven years ago, making me feel the urge to grab a brush or pencil and sketch his perfect features.

After all those years, he was still Sam, and he was here, standing in the middle of my gallery as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

It took me some seconds to register I had let the box of brushes in my hand fall upon hearing him say "Hey", but I quickly kneeled down to the floor to pick them up, still not knowing how to react. Four pairs of hands were immediately helping me, and thankfully my long hair covered my blushing cheeks as embarrassment took over me. I had never been a clumsy person, but I had already managed to make a perfect fool of myself just by seeing him standing in front of me.

-          Thank you – I said, not looking at anyone in particular, while Mei Ling took the box from my hands, probably to take it with the rest of the packages Chase and I had just picked up.

Even though I wanted to run away as far as possible, I knew I needed to face the situation in front of me. So I lifted my eyes, which met Sam's again. He was now standing much closer after having helped me, instead of standing a good couple of feet away from me like he had been previously doing.

-          Sam – I smiled, addressing him. I had to stop myself from saying "Sammy", the nickname I used to have for him, that I had loved so deeply in the past.

His own smile widened, and he awkwardly moved his arms, not knowing if he should hug me or simply pat my shoulder. While I had been frozen on my spot some seconds earlier, this time I didn't hesitate to take a step forward, wrapping my own arms around his middle. His' fell around my back, my cheek pressed to his warm chest in what I deemed to be a friendly embrace.

Time seemed to stop when our covered skin met, even his scent felt familiar. And all of a sudden, a million of images from those years we had spent together flashed before my eyes, making me squeeze them shut to avoid any kind of nostalgic feelings to flood my brain. While we had both been rather stiff at first, our muscles gradually relaxed, and he even tightened his hold on me for some seconds before we slowly let go of each other.