Chapter 10

Sam's POV

Every day that passed, I seemed to spend more and more time at the studio. Whether I was running away from the room I had been sharing with Sophia, even if she was still in LA, or was just really eager to work on our following album when our new one hadn't even been released, I didn't know. But what I did know was that most hours of my day were spent within the four walls of this small room in Lava Records, with my bass in hand and my keyboard in front of me, judging me whenever I looked up the door at any sudden noise. I knew constantly expecting to see a certain brunette walking by was insane, especially when the chances of her being at the office were always low. But my brain seemed to ignore any rational thoughts when it came to her.

Just conjuring her up in my mind seemed to have an effect. My attention was taken away from my bass when my ringtone decided to join the melody I was working on, with Gwen's name shining bright on my phone's screen. Carefully setting my beloved instrument to the side, both to take care of it and not answer as quickly as my real desperate self wanted to, I finally turned to the noisy device and held it in my hands. After a brief pause, I finally picked up, biting my lip in advance to hearing her addictive voice.

- Sam? – my name felt like honey whenever she said it, making my teeth sink deeper into my lower lip as I rolled it between them.

- Unless you expected someone else to pick up my phone, yeah, this is me – I chuckled. I couldn't see her, but I didn't need to do it in order to know my words had made her playfully roll her eyes on the other side, making me smile.

- Sorry, I didn't want to bother – she replied softly, as if she were concerned about interrupting my working hours. Working hours she didn't know that had been lately revolving around her, whether it was daydreaming about us or trying to take her out of my head.

- You never could. What's up? – I answered, rolling my chair to the side so that I could face the only window in the room.

- Maybe this is too much to ask from you... - she started, and I could sense some nervousness in her voice, which was rare of her – But I need to take Lou to the vet, and you know, given her current condition it's always a bit of an issue. Chase doesn't know if he'll be back in time, as he's driving back from in Michigan because he took some of his stuff already...

- I'm going with you – I didn't even let her finish, already feeling some fondness from the prospect of seeing Lou, and spending time with both her and her owner.

- Are you sure? I didn't want to burden you with it or I don't know, overstep – Gwen continued rambling – I was going to ask Mei Ling but we'd have to close the gallery for an hour or two. I know we talked about hanging out more but I still felt like maybe this is too much...

- Gwen... - I interrupted her again with a smile, not understanding why she was so nervous about this.

- ... but at the same time, you are still her dad, and now that we are in better terms, I thought I might as well ask.

I could feel my heart stopping for a second, only to beat as hard as ever right afterwards. Hearing Gwen say that I was still Lou's "dad", knowing that she still regarded me as one of her owners, made things to my heart that I couldn't explain with words. That dog had meant the world to me, and parting ways with her was the second hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

To know that I was still considered a member of Lou's life lit up my face, making my cheeks tense up with how broad the smile on my mouth stretched.

- When are you taking her? – I asked, moving my chair to the desk next to me where my journal lay. Unlike Josh, who kept one to write down lyrics or thoughts, I used it as a reminder of all the things I had to do and would otherwise forget.