Chapter 2

Sam's POV

Williamsburg, the neighbourhood in Brooklyn where Gwen and Chase lived, was a really charming place. While I had been in the area before on previous trips to the Big Apple, I had to admit I had never taken the proper time to explore that side of the area, and found myself pleasantly surprised by how interesting it was and how cool the people around seemed to be. You could easily tell it was a place inhabited by writers, artists and musicians of all sorts, as well as some wealthy families. While it still remained enthralling with Banksy-like graffiti covering multiple buildings, infinite restaurants, bars and vintage stores filling the streets, each fascinating in its own way, and an amazing view of the Hudson river and Brooklyn Bridge, it lacked the hectic and chaotic energy that Manhattan radiated.

The street lights were shining as darkness had already taken over the sky, and our steps echoed in the empty street as we walked, it being barely busy. Checking the address one last time on my phone to make sure I had memorised it right, I looked over at the number on the building next to us, guessing our destination was just another block away.

We stopped walking once we reached a townhouse with the number "801" above its door, and climbed up the front steps to reach the entrance. Looking for their apartment on the intercom buzzer, I pressed on the right button before nervously tucking my hands in my pants' pockets, waiting for either Gwen or Chase to pick up.

- Yes? – Guinevere's melodious voice came through the steel panel, making me guess they didn't have any cameras-system to actually see it was me and Sophia.

- It's Sophia and Sam – Soph replied before I could even open my mouth.

- Oh, right, come in - immediately the door beeped and clicked, meaning Gwen had unlocked it for us to go in.

Going up the stairs again, I smiled to myself, seeing that she had again picked a building with no elevators, just like the one we used to live in while in college. Luckily, their apartment was on the second floor, and soon enough Sophia and I had reached their door, ringing the bell once to announce our presence. It took less than two seconds for Chase to open it, smiling our way as he greeted us and moving aside to let us in.

And exactly like I had imagined, the place screamed Gwen from each of its corners. Unlike the white walls we had back in college, this apartment had brick ones in all its Brooklyn fashion. Multiple paintings and shelves were hanging from them, full of plants which I knew were fake, as I doubted she would ever remember to water real ones. A nice Persian-like rug covered the living room's floor, pretty similar to the ones that adorned the garage back at home in Frankenmuth, with a brown leather couch sitting on top of it. Their coffee table remained almost bare, with just a couple of unlit candles and tiny ceramic pots on it, and the hutch in which their TV was placed had multiple books filling each of its shelves.

The lamps that gave light to the room were rather modern and artistic, but I guessed that during the day, the huge windows covering the walls had to provide with abundant natural lighting. Letting go of Soph's hand, I dared to take another step into the room, which was connected to their dining room. The table had already been set for four there. They had an open concept going on, as both the living and dining rooms were separated from the kitchen by just a counter. It already smelled deliciously, product of something being cooked on the stove, and the simple aroma was already making my mouth water.

A particular piece of furniture right across from us had caught my interest, though, filled with what I imagined were hundreds of vinyl records, with a vintage record player sitting on top of it. But before I could even take a step closer to it, the sound of paws echoed down the hallway on my left, making me immediately turn around to find the animal responsible for them.