Chapter 1 - Part 9

The music bleeds into the concourse, much quieter in comparison to the stadium just a few feet away. Protected from the sound waves by layers of concrete a group of parents trapped behind the food counters passionately bash their horrible teenagers they're at the concert serving food for.

"Ha! You think you've got it bad. My sixteen year old is drinking, smoking, sleeping around, AND cheating in his music class. Music of all things! How do you cheat in music?!" A woman in her mid thirties jams her hand on her hip to make the point.

"Why are teenagers the worst thing in the world?" A dad shakes his head.

The same mom continues, "When they come out they're so cute and tiny and everything about them is shiny and new. And then. Oh, when they're growing and starting to walk and show off their personality, they're so precious." She places her hand on her forehead dramatically. A few moms in the corner chatting separately roll their eyes at the theatrics that have ensnared the few husbands that have come along with the rest of the moms. "But oh no, when they hit teenager something in their brain switches off and you go from care bear to Five Nights at Freddys overnight."

"They don't tell you that when you're in parenting class." Another mom chimes in.

"Who's Freddy? When did they skip school for a week?" A nervous looking father chimes in.

The music suddenly increases as a couple storms out of the tunnel leading from the concert. As they reach the main concourse area they start talking loudly, ears still buzzing from the noise of the show. Most of the parents lean on the counter, eagerly watching the newest spectacle.

"You promised me your cousin was ready for this but she hasn't stopped texting me since we left!" The wife says loudly.

"You texted her first!" He responds just as loudly, ears ringing. "I just wanted a nice night out so we could feel like real people again. I was trying to do something nice for you."

"By taking me to a band you like? Yeah, you were obviously thinking about me. Let's just get to the car and go home. I'm ready for this night of fun to end."