1 - I'm surrounded by idiots.

"Miiiiike! She's here!"

Allison called up to her husband, who was doing god-knows-what in the name of DIY upstairs.

"Coming!" He yelled back. She grimaced at the subsequent *thump* shortly afterwards, followed by a muffled "I'm alright!".

They had been anticipating the arrival of Allison's goddaughter for a few days, and had tried their best to turn the bomb site of a house into a more rustic 'rough around the edges' look. They had at least succeeded in making it safe - no holes in floors.

Taking a few deep breaths, she turned to the ghosts, who were huddled by the living room window watching the car pull into the driveway.

"Right, you all remember what I've told you, correct?"

The ghosts' excited chatter fell silent and they all nodded solemnly - they were of course looking forward to a new face at Button House, but they all wished it could be under happier circumstances.

"So no distracting me while I'm talking to her, she can't see or hear you guys as far as I know. Although... no, I'm pretty sure she wasn't that close." She mumbled the last sentence worriedly under her breath, hoping that the poor girl wouldn't be even more freaked out than she needed to be.

All the ghosts nodded sincerely - even Julian - and so, satisfied with their answers, Allison hurried out of the room to the front door. She was quickly joined by Mike as he came down the stairs and they opened the front door together.

Before them stood a young girl with cascading brown hair that framed her shy eyes and nervous expression. Her hands were clasped in front of her as she looked at her godparents. Her new guardians.

"Luna!" Allison cried, engulfing the girl in a tight hug. Mike stood watching as the two girls started crying.

"Oh, I'm so so sorry Luna, I really am." Allison managed out between sobs. "I will miss them too, so much."

"It's ok Ali," Luna spoke for the first time, her eyeliner running, "I'm just so glad I have you guys. There's no one else." Her voice cracked on the last syllable, and they stood there for a while hugging one another, overwhelmed with grief.

Mike let them stay like that for a few more minutes; he didn't know the whole story of course, only as much as Allison could manage to tell him without bursting into tears and her words becoming unintelligible. He also knew better than to press for details.

He knew that Luna's parents had recently died in a freak car crash, and that Luna was in the car too, but survived with only minor injuries. This they had found out a few days ago with an emotional phone call from the hospital. Allison was distraught at the loss, but was also heartbroken for Luna; she immediately offered to take her in.

Allison was Luna's only living family, as Allison had been named godmother at Luna's birth. The two were very close, and Luna saw Allison as more of a big sister, despite not being blood related.

He felt incredibly sorry for the young girl, and offered a sympathetic smile as he motioned for them to come inside, out of the cold, while he brought her bags in from the taxi. He looked up at the dark clouds worriedly as he made his way towards the taxi.

"Thanks, Mike" Allison said over her shoulder, as she showed Luna inside to the living room.

The ghosts hurried away from the door frame where they had been trying to get a look at the newcomer, allowing them to enter the room without going through them.

Allison internally sighed in relief - Luna hadn't reacted at all to the group of spirits that were staring curiously - and very obviously - so she assumed she couldn't see them. At least that was one less thing to explain.